build composite wings

hi all

recently i purchased some plans, i was thinking of building composite wings instead of wood and covering,

so i would cut some foam using a hot wire cutter etc, but my questions being how many ply of f/glass matting and how would i build in a main wing spar as they will be removeable,

has anyone had experiance with composite wings???

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Flygirl

You will need to do some cal, on the stress first of all, if you are really in the deep end, may be you should just follow the plans, it is some times not what you realy want, but you will at the end of the day have a safe aircraft.I like to feel safe and no need to worry about what if. good luck

sorry i should of posted an update earlier, i would shape a structual foam core to exact plan specs, i would cut the foam length ways at the same place where the main spar would go. then I would use a fiberglass I beam as the main spar and cover with two plys of bidirectional matting run at oposite directions.

Guest Flygirl

Structal foam would be to heavy, you aircraft had a wood spar in your aircraft plan, I would use that, and build the wing as a KR2 but with ribs at 300mm center and not the 600mm in the plan, and 1"wide ribs it is very light for a glass wing. The foam is just plane 2lb cu. I build a bigger wing this way in 6 days, a lot of sanding and filling after .