Stopping Drifters

greggf

Hi all, No I don't mean preventing or banning Drifters, I mean stopping them. Brakes! Not to put too fine a point on it, but mine doesn't! Stop, that is.

I'm using a hand-grip type brake lever on the stick, because I only have two hands and the other one usually wants to be on the throttle. Problem is, with the standard stoppers, it doesn't. Long grass helps, but I've been scaring the krap out of the pygmy population.

I'm considering some sort of cable operated disks. Any suggestions welcome.

Guest TOSGcentral

Hmm! The only real way to stop Drifters is put them down at birth!

On a more positive note – Thrusters have the same problem, especially on bitumen, any hard surfaces, slopes, or pointing downwind when doing mag drops.

We have a contact for disc brakes that fit the standard off-set hub Drifter wheels and still work via stick triggers. In fact we had one T500 Thruster rigged with double triggers for unilateral or differential braking.

Give Steve Vette a ring on 08 9622 8659 for current prices etc.

Aye

Tony

Is it actually the brakes at the wheels not working, or is the cable so stiff that you get no movement?Try to force some grease down the cables (talk to someone at an old motor bike shop about cable oilers)Arthur.

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your suggestion. As a two-wheel traveller as well, I have already thoroughly checked the cables. No, the problem is definitely with trying to get enough mechanical advantage from a hand-grip onto the stone-age band brakes... should be banned brakes!

For the moment the long grass just off the tarmac at the holding point suffices to permit my run-ups and mag checks, but when I get a round tuit I'll investigate the disks suggested previously in this thread.

cheers

Gregg

Guest micgrace

I think Matco has a hand operated single master cylinder and of course, they have disc brakes as well. Maybe someone has done such a conversion.

Worth checking out. I learnt to fly on drifters, and have never really worried about the extremly poor brakes, just gave plenty of time to slow down.

Micgrace :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Deano

I had a differential braking system fitted to mine that utilised the original cable operated brakes. It was basically a aluminium (hand brake style lever) attached to the side near the throttle. It gaveit a tight turning radius and the extra leverage provided a good braking force to pull it up.

Cheers Glenn

• 3 months later...

we also have differential cable brakes. Works well for narrow strips and turning circles. Brakes on drifters have always been ordinary. Many mods have been tried. There are some that actually work. Have been flying drifters for 17 years and always remember if stopping is marginal, switch off engine- it makes a big difference even at idle power.

cheers pete

• 2 weeks later...

For a Hydraulic hand brake go to someone like Autosport or any Rally based auto shop and have a look at those. Motorcycle calipers should do the job. For discs you could use a peice of Stainless Steel and have it faced at a brake shop. Try to use braided hose as it is less prone to expand when under pressure and is better protected from the sun.

I've used Wayne's Datsun 120Y hand brake lever beside the throttle and it works great, you can pull up in almost nothing. Only trouble is it's uncertificated and if your machine is factory built it and has a bingle, bam no insurance (and it's also unfortunately illegal).