Jabiru 2200 Engine Failure in Portugal

On 18-06-2010 I was obliged to make a Forced Landing on a beach in Portugal due to a problem that happened with one Jabiru (2200 series) during flight in my Pioneer 200 CS-UPK. The exhaust valve adjuster got loose inside cylinder head nº 3 leading to a partial loss of power and huge engine vibrations. The engine berth withstood the vibrations, otherwise this incident would have been fatal. The cause was human error in maintenance.

If you want to know more please follow these links and visit my blog, where I published pictures showing the airplane rescue and the engine parts that failed :

Forced Landing

Jabiru 2200 Engine Failure

I wish you all good flights ...

Guest check-in

Thank you for sharing this information. Before I fly again I will double-check that the valve adjusters are very tight. I find that my tappets don't get far enough out of adjustment to require attention for about 75 to 100 hours but this makes a good case for checking everything is tight every 25 hours, regardless.

Thanks for posting duarte07.

The most important thing, is that you are OK, and hopefully your aircraft too.

All these problems are a learning experience, and we all need to be aware, to make flying as safe as is possible.

Kind Regards

Planey