flying raa registered plane with ppl

Hello

I have an RAA registered Evektor Sportstar and have a pilot certificate. I am currently doing a GA conversion for a PPL. Does anyone know whether it is possible to fly into controlled airspace, land at places like Bankstown, Canberra etc with an RAA registered plane flown with a GA-PPL licenced pilot? If not, it looks like I'll have to explore the option of converting the plane rego.

Regards

pj8768

Guest burbles1

I am training at Jaspers Brush which is inside the Nowra CTA. The a/c is RA-registered, the aircraft has a transponder and radio and my instructor has a PPL (he does the radio calls inside the CTA), so it is permissable.

From the RAA Tutorials

To operate in Class C and D control zones, the ultralight aircraft and the engine must either be certificated to the design standards specified in CAO 101.55 para 6.1 or meet criteria specified elsewhere (see paragraph 5.2 in both CAO 95.32 and CAO 95.55); be fitted with a certificated or CASA-approved engine and CASA-approved (rather than ACMA-approved) radio equipment; and the pilot in command must hold a valid Pilot Licence ( i.e. Private Pilot Licence — PPL, Commercial Pilot Licence — CPL, Air Transport Pilot Licence — ATPL) in addition to the Pilot Certificate.

From the AIP

'All aircraft must be fitted with an operable Mode A and Mode C, or

Mode S, SSR transponder for operations within classes A, B and C

airspace and any class of airspace at or above 10,000FT AMSL.'

Therefore a transponder is not mandatory in Class D airspace

Hope this helps:)

Guest basscheffers

Yes, perfectly legal. Rotax 912ULS is on the approved list. There's plenty of SportStars, including mine, regularly found in controlled airspace.

Thanks for all the advice. I also received an email reply from raa HQ citing CAO 95.55 paragraph 5. As for the Sportstar the main thing seems to be to get the transponder calibrated (there must be another order somewhere saying that it has to be 2nd yearly). I'm hoping to fly between Central west NSW and Canberra - only one ALA to choose from unfortunately.

Guest basscheffers

Regular thing? Would gundarroo work? Dick Smith's runway. Keeps saying he welcomes visitors! PPR.

Guest basscheffers

Yup, except due to safety of terrain. So crossing ranges, tiger country or over water you can go higher. Recently took the sporty to 9500 for a perfectly legal 40km crossing! Keeps it well in gliding range and within 20km of land.

the thought had crossed my mind, as had getting some floats and landing on lake burleigh griffin, but there's probably laws against that as well!

Guest davidh10
...(there must be another order somewhere saying that it has to be 2nd yearly)...

I can confirm I've read this somewhere in the regs, but as it does not apply to me, I'm sorry that I cannot recall where it was. May have even been in the VFR Guide, in which case it would reference the appropriate legislative instrument.

No. Can't find it in VFRG. Found it... Regulation Impact Statement talks about the change from three year to two year calibration and refers to CASR Part 43 and CASR Part 91.

The US regulation: FAA Far 91.413 pertains and is referenced in the RIS.

Hope this helps... at least it puts you on the trail. Isn't legislation a pleasure to read ;-)

Guest basscheffers

It's those parts of the the country where tigers live, i.e.: if you land there, you will be eaten! So to avoid being eaten in the event of engine failure, you fly higher, so you can glide clear of the tigers. ;)

Seriously, any terrain where a forced landing is going to be difficult. (vegetation, hills, etc.) If you are higher, you have more time and more chances to find an open spot.

Guest Dick Gower

The transponder calibration is via an Australian-orign Airworthiness Directive (AD) called AD/RAD/47.

This AD is currently under review to tighten the allowable tolerences due to incompatability of some of the old transponders with the new terminal radars.

The other issue is that you must have a current AFT/BFR.

Guest basscheffers

Yes, for your PPL to be valid, you always need a current medical. Also, for those operating RAA in CTA under a CASA exemption, RA pilots doing so (like me) must have a valid medical.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest check-in

In similar vein, a question for the legal experts out there. If a pilot has renewed his instrument rating or done a base check (obviously in a VH rego aeroplane and not a simulator) would this be good for a BFR on his/her RA ticket?. I do recall that this was debated elsewhere in these forums but can't find it.

From a safety angle, I can see that it would be undesirable if the pilot was not current in the lighter RA machines, but what if he did fly RA category regularly?

G'day Check-in

I am not a lawyer, however, I found this which I believe is the correct reference with regard to the flight check - A call to RA-Aus could provide any further guidance required....

RA-Aus OPERATIONS MANUAL

SECTION 2.07 FLIGHT CREW CERTIFICATE – PILOT CERTIFICATE

REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MAINTENANCE OF A VALID PILOTS CERTIFICATE

5. In order for a Pilot Certificate holder to exercise the privileges of a valid Flight Crew Certificate the (RA-Aus) member shall :-

i - If a certificate holder has within a period of two years immediately preceding the flight, has passed a flight check for the renewal or initial issue of a CASA approved pilots license, then the pilot is take to have sufficiently completed a flight review on high performance aircraft only. This will be accepted only upon receipt of a copy of the logbook entry validated by an instructor