Birdsville Races 2010

JG3

It sounds like the Birdsville Races, Friday and Saturday, 3 & 4 of September, is the place to go this year! I already know of quite a few flyers planning to go from SE Qld, a couple of aircraft from Gladstone, several from Kilcoy, several from Boonah, probably one from Gatton, and at least one if not more from Gympie. Already that’ll be the best turn up of RA aircraft yet, and as the word spreads, I’m sure there’ll be more. I was there last year so don’t really need to go again this year, but will go anyhow just for the get together. The Birdsville Races gathering is a unique experience, and a real blast! Definitely an experience to remember. An account of my last year trip is at StolSpeed Aerodynamics - Performance Enhancement for Light Aircraft

From SE Qld, Charleville is good for the first night stopover. They’ve always allowed airfield camping in the past, and walking distance to the RSL for a good feed. Then there’s the Cosmos Night Sky Observatory near the airfield if you haven’t seen it before. Next day a stop at Windorah for fuel, then into Birdsville mid-afternoon.

To make it a round trip, probably come home by way of Innaminka, Dig Tree, Noccundra Pub, Eulo, Cunnamulla, St George. Innaminka has premium fuel but too far to carry, so need to beg a lift, but lots of helpful 4WD travellers around. Noccundra and Eulo both have convenient regular ULP, which I am satisfied to mix with some avgas remaining in the tanks to make a suitable blend. Eulo is a really nice place to camp for a night, water and toilets at the airfield and the pub just across the road.

For flyers from NSW and Victoria, Milparinka is a charming overnight stop. Old sandstone buildings and evidence of gold mining boom days. Taxi to ULP pump. Food and drink at the pub.

From Victoria and South Australia consider a route to overnight at Arkaroola, then William Creek for fuel and across Lake Eyre to have a look at the water and on to B’ville. While in W. Creek talk to the charter operators about routes and procedures over the Lake. It’s very busy airspace these days, with the operators flying routes and calling landmarks that are familiar to them.

I’ve compiled a map of known fuel stops for southern Qld and western NSW at StolSpeed Aerodynamics - Performance Enhancement for Light Aircraft If travelling on Sunday, remember that callout fees often apply at airfields, and sometimes no service at all without prior notice…. Probably no fuel service at St George on Sunday. At Birdsville during the Races, the gate that’s handy for carrying PULP is locked, so it’s a l-o-n-g way to carry jerry cans. But the price difference to avgas is about a dollar a litre so that’s a saving of $22 for every carry.

It’s always dry that time of year, but winds can be lively. The cycle is, increasing north/northeasterlies, followed by a strong southwesterly change that can blow really hard for a couple of days. So it sure is good if you can have flexible timing, and watch the pattern, so if you see a SW change coming just when you want to be going west, it’s best if you can go out a couple of days early to avoid a headwind slog, then ride the tailwind home. Be sure to bring good tie-downs….

From the response to the story of our recent trip to the Centre, it sounds like there are quite a few flyers out there eager to go travelling x-country in their aircraft. Well, Birdsville would be a good trip to fit in this season. And don’t figure on leaving it too long…. Fred Brophy’s Boxing Tent won’t be around forever, and the whole Races event is becoming more and more commercial. Don’t listen to those who claim it’s not worth going cause it’s “not like it used to be”…. Yeh, maybe not, but it’s still a really unique experience that you won’t find anywhere else, and I say again, it’s a real blast!!

Look forward to seeing you there,

JG

Thanks John

for all the info re Birsdsville I am looking forward to going this time round as I missed out on the recent trip to the center. Yes I to think it is a must see event to experience at least once in a lifetime and I cant wait to get going.

It seems that pilots flying in are realy well catered for too this year with a tent village being set up for about $60 a night including breakfast and dinner which would allow people to travel two up without having to take along a lot of extra camping gear.

How many days do you think the the round trip from Kilcoy and back will take including the extra excursions on the way home.

Cheers Dags

How many days do you think the the round trip from Kilcoy and back will take including the extra excursions on the way home.

Cheers Dags

Glad to hear you're keen, Dags. Hans is now planning on going as well, just doesn't want to miss out....

It'll be two days out with overnight at Charleville, and two days back with an overnight probably at Eulo. If someone wants to include Lake Eyre, then it would be three days back, one day over the Lake to William Creek and overnight at Arkaroola, and then two days back along the Darling probably overnight at Bourke.

JG

spare seat?

hi folks,

i am looking for a spare seat from Adelaide, Melbourne or Sydney to Birdsville. I would like to stay in Birdsville at least one night, perfect though would be starting Friday early getting back Sunday late.

Does anyone has a spare seat or knows someone who knows someone who does?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks Johnfor all the info re Birsdsville I am looking forward to going this time round as I missed out on the recent trip to the center. Yes I to think it is a must see event to experience at least once in a lifetime and I cant wait to get going.

It seems that pilots flying in are realy well catered for too this year with a tent village being set up for about $60 a night including breakfast and dinner which would allow people to travel two up without having to take along a lot of extra camping gear.

Cheers Dags

So, how do you book a tent/bed

Hi Cosmick

There is an add in the current RAAus magazine for Birdsville races. The phone number for bookings is 1300 794 257 Hope to see you there.

Dags

So, how do you book a tent/bed

There's a big advert in the last RAAus mag. My mag is out at the airfield so I can't check it, but if the contact isn't in the ad, get back here and I'll put you in touch with someone who has made a booking. They said that there were few left, but they should be able to arrange more at this stage if the demand is there.....

JG

• 2 weeks later...

HI All, Did you know that they are charging a landing fee of $25 per person................not per aircraft..............so bring your money with you............we all know that if you own an aircraft you are filthy rich.........................on the up side you can rent a tent which is already up with two bunks and matteresses for $130 ($65 each) per night this includes breakfast and dinner...............Cheers RR

Maybe only 2 beers this year?? I have been there 3 times so far, in 1999 a can of XXXX was $3 over the bar...........last time I was there (2005) it was $6.............on those calcs it is due to double soon....................... I have two spare seats in a cessna 182 if you know a starter or 2 (if 2) with a combined weight of 180kg or less...........will be going from Cooloola (sunshine Coast) on thurs 2/9/10 and staying at a cheap pub in Charlivelle............getting to Birdsville Friday morning at about 10-30.......11........flying straight home sunday via Charlivelle for fuel/burger/coffee...............arrieving home around 3PM sunday......Cost is....... fuel + 20% devided by 3 or 4.............it is aproximately 12 to 13 hours return and the 182 uses 50 L/H......the round trip should use a total of around 600 t0 650 ltrs and depending on the price of av gas in the west about $12/1300...............if you know anyone interested please pass my phone number on 0428 72 62 72.......cheers

Guest Mad Dave

I think they were maybe $8 a can last year? I can't remember, because you had to buy tickets to exchange for drinks, and i was just grabbing tickets off my mates, as i wasn't drinking much.

Maybe only 2 beers this year?? in 1999 a can of XXXX was $3 over the bar...........last time I was there (2005) it was $6.............on those calcs it is due to double soon.......................

Yeh, it sure is a costly place to go on a beer swill. But those xxxx tins are specially printed for the Races, collectible souvenirs eh, I still have one from '95 on the shelf. So a couple for refreshment, then discreetly into the port or whatever that's easy to pack and doesn't need refrigeration.....

Need to arrive prepared....

Speaking of being prepared, try to find room for a folding chair.

There's not enough room on the curb for everyone......

We will be taking a large bottle of JD............buy a little coke and Ice...........I noticed that you are at Kilcoy........will You be at Watts Bridge 22/8 (I think)........we are at Cooloola Cove near Tin Can bay...............always welcome here.......grass strip, 1000 mtrs and can put you up...................cheers Rod 0428 72 62 72

Hi Rod

Met you at Mt Perry races and spoke to you recently re fly in at your place. ( We were in Savannahs )

I'm planing on doing the same ie taking a large bottle of home brew rum and buying coke and ice there it should add up to a good time.

Any idea what the temperature gets down to at Birdsville over night?

Not sure about Watts Bridge as I have radio problems at present and am waiting for Roger weston to get back and check it ojut for me.

Cheers

Dags

U R a brave man with that HB Rum.............the festival of flight at Watts Br is the weekend before Birdsville not 21st as i said before.............if you get this soon a quick Q. hows the weather at Kilcoy now?? it is clearing here but still overcast and low cieling..........Cheers RR

hows the weather at Kilcoy now??

Anyone needing an actual weather report at Kilcoy area can ring me on 0429 943 508

Any day after 0600.

Birdsville temp can be totally variable at that time of year, depending upon the wind direction, which cycles hot northerly followed by cold southwesterly.

Almost nil chance of rain at that time.

JG

What you have to do is land way up the other end of the strip away from the pub and let your passenger out................he can walk to the pub!!! that way you will save $25 (about 3 beers)............There is a $25 per head landing fee this year??.........cheers RR

Just remembering previous visits to the Birdsville Races.

Last year I arrived on Thursday afternoon. Only a couple of other aircraft there so got parking right at the gate. Thursday evening was a real good time to be there, cause the crowd is still small and easy to get into Brophy's Boxing tent. Friday sees the arrival of most of the aircraft. Sure is good to be already parked while all those high speed charters jocky for circuit placement... I enjoy watching the build-up of excitement as all the new arrivals fill the street outside the pub. Friday night is full on, beer cans curb to curb....... Hang around for while Saturday then depart while the airspace is deserted. Stop somewhere quiet for Saturday night, as a good contrast to the revelry back there. Enough is enough.....

Sunday morning is chaotic with departing aircraft, often full of hung-over passengers impatient to get back to the big city. Another year I stayed on the ground til later on Sunday, and it was fun watching all the departures and seeing an almost deserted airfield again very quickly. Heard one aircraft returning immediately, "...due to ill pax..."

So, several of us are already planning on Thursday arrival and Saturday departure, if the winds are suitable.

JG

Hi Ferris..............got that one........thats where the $25 per person (not per aircraft) landing fee is stated....................so dont forget to land on the road a few klm,s out of town and unload your passengers..............cheers RR

G'day Rod, I agree $25 a head is a bit bloody rich. hmmm, might have an engine failure over the race track.

Wonder how many people won't read the AIP and just try to join the circuit or do a straight in approach.

Hi Ferris,Thats right............there will be the usual scratchy radios, blokes that talk,talk,talk, aircraft reoprting 1000 when they are anyware between 500 and 2000............CASA usually moniters 126.7 and takes notes so make sure you have everything up to date..............we should print a $25 note just to pay the landing charge??................C U there. I have a 2 tone green/white cessna 182....VH-EVC...............we will be staying at charleville on the thursday night and getting to birdsville at about 11 am sat..............cheers Rod

For those planning to go to Birdsville, the gates nearest the service station are locked for the duration of the races, so it's a l-o-n-g carry of jerry cans if you want PULP. Avgas is available on field but is a dollar a litre dearer.....

To help this situation Dags and I have modified two golf carts into trolleys for carrying jerry cans. They work really well and make it real easy. They'll be available for loan, just ring JG on 0429 943 508 or Dags on 0418 780 355, or watch for any of the Kilcoy Frequent Flyers fellas.

JG