Greetings from yet another aero-noob.....

Gribble

Hey all! Gribble here from Sydney.

I dont really have any story to tell about my life, except that im 29, a plant mechanic, a mortgagee (fun fun) and a student pilot with 25 odd hours in a Cessna, including 5 solo hours but only in the circuit, so you could say i have flown a plane by myself but its like saying I race nascar, ive only ever turned left.

Ive wanted to try my hand at flying for some time but the price has always seemed to be quite prohibitive, anyway around this time last year I took the controls of the little C150 for the first time and it was worth it. But now thanks to recent interest rate rises, vehicle rego's and greenslips on that never ending upwards trend, plus maintenance on a few of the other toys the price to fly has yet again become prohibitive.

So the plan basically is once the finances have stabilized, ive sold off a few liabilities that are just sitting in the shed and i work out wheather or not i wish to remain in Sydney (the truth is I DONT, but my employer is great and It would be hard to find a better boss in my industry) that ill get back into the left-seat again and continue on.

I have been questioning weather or not to continue on and finish the PPL or start over fresh in recreational aviation. I dont have any aspirations to be the next a380 or dreamliner captain so the CPL part is not an issue. More or less a different way to visit the relatives around the Riverina area without having to deal with the Hume Highway. Maybe do some loop-the loops whilst im at it, scare Mum, that sort of thing.

I guess the part that seems most attractive in RAA is the build-it-yourself aspect. Ive rebuilt a few cars and bikes but this would be by far my biggest project I would ever undertake. Of course the first hurdle is the licence, baby steps, i know. I would be more likely to purchase something second hand first and then think about a kit. I like the idea of the STOL style planes like the Savannah or Zenith, but cruising around at 120kt in a small, sleek 2 seater has its appeal as well. Ill work that one out in due time.

Ill stop ranting for now, im sure I will ask a billion quesitons in the near future and i PROMISE to use the search button to the best of my ability, hopefully this isnt too much like pprune.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Thanks for listening.

-Gribble-

Welcome Gribble, your choice mate, but for what it is worth, Go RAA.I have flown a 150, its nothing on a Teccy, or similar LSA's IMO. But if you want to take more than one passenger, then GA might be a better choice.Cheers Buddy and good luck with your flying Journey.We are all here to support each other (we do disagree with each other sometimes LOL)

G'day Gribble,

Welcome to the Site.

below is just my opinion and what seemed to work for me.

I can only comment from what i have done, but i started out with RAAus in a Jab and Sports Cruiser, it was fantastic. I loved having the freedom to jump in and head a couple hundred K's away for lunch or to catch up with a mate. Then I started to plan a long distance trip, From Perth to Cooper Pedy, up to the big rock then back home, I was going to leave the kids with the Grandparents and take the wife and head out on this adventure. During the planning phase my son asked if he could come along, so you guessed it, i went out and did my PPL. :) pricey, but for what i now want it for, it was worth it. My next adventure is to do my aerobatic endorsement, like you said so you can head out do a couple of loops and scare Mum. Geez, i get a back hand from the missus when its a bit lumpy so no chance for aerobatics for her. So were sort of back to the begining again, it really depends on what you want to do with it, if you happy to have you and a mate, or the missus and thats all then RAAus is the way, you dont have the red tape C&&P of GA. but if you plan to head further from home, bigger loads, more mates etc, it proberly wont hurt to go GA. Just remember the costs are higher, the Hire costs are usually more, chew more fuel, cant do any work on a GA plane yourself etc etc.......

I fly more GA now, only because i do not have a RAAus club / school near me, and where i am currently living, I have no hanger space so it is easier for me to hire the C-172.

Either way Gribble, I hope you can get back in the air soon and get to that final check ride.

you will find plenty of characters on this site, and plenty of knowledge,

BlackRod, define "Trade In"? And I havent gotten intimate with the trees yet, but im certainly aware of them, and the wind shear when taking off at the other end, always fun.

David, not since about half past April this year. I will need to get back to it soon.

I really need to study the air law in regards to RA, one place I would like to fly to is Canberra, and ive read that being ICTA (as opposed to OCTA, geddit? Anyway...) is a no no for RA. However ive read that you can DIY a plane and register it as Experimental-VH and fly it on PPL. Plenty of time to read the rules, its not like im running out to get a kit tomorrow.

Thanks for the well wishes too. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

(PS, discovered the Morgan Sierra last night, me likey muchly)

G'day Gribble (nearly wrote dribble...) Fantasticly great to have you :thumb_up:

Welcome along... and you'll find us a looooooooot different to Mr Pprune, so ask all you want, remember the questions you ask, often help others as well :big_grin:

One question from me though... you say you're a plant mechanic, I take that as machinery, not the nursery type plants? As I couldn't imagine working on a leaf...

Which reminds me, smoko break is nearly g...

Tomo, yes, machinery. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gifIf Don Bourke was to view my garden I would be arrested.

That would make two of us then... actually I don't even have a garden 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

And cool, I'm a Diesel fitter/Mechanic too - pulled the hydraulic pumps off a L70C Volvo loader today, removed the top end of an M11 Cummins. And did the brakes on a Nissan patrol...

I love it.

GA PPl pilot flying a ultralight in controlled airspace is possible as long as it is equipped with a mode c transponder and suitable radio ( i could be wrong). And Gribble GA aviation is only getting more expensive big time back when i started my PPl in 2003 a C172 was about 150-160hr to hire with instructor the exact aircraft is almost 100 bucks more an hour the end of last year. A Tomahawk!!! is 205hr i dont think they could pay me that much to fly a traumahawk !!! If you want my 2 cents if all you want to do is burn around the skys and go on the odd trip with your mate or significant other than RA is the way to go especially with the aircraft that are available today.

I see, so if you were to do all the GAAP, CTA, CTR etc etc training as a GA pilot would that allow you to fly within CTA provided you have all the transponders, radios, elts and whatever else you need to fly there?

Better still, can someone point me to the Caap/car regarding it?