Canadian ultralight regs?

Hi there, eh? (haha)

If I'm going to get my ultralight license here in Australia, I'm going to have to get a conversion to the Canadian rules when my wife finally wins and we move there.

So my question is: Has anyone converted an ultralight license to the Canadian regs?

I would hope that being a part of the commonwealth would make it somewhat simpler - it helped when my wife emigrated (immigrated?) here from Canada. Of course that's not a certainty!

• 1 month later...

Hello Thalass;

I am a Canadian Citizen living in the United Arab Emirates and I've learned to fly here. While on holiday in Canada I made similar inquiries to a local flying club regarding converting my UAE Microlight Pilot permit to a Canadian Recreational Pilot Permit.

Whether you will be looking for an Ultralight permit or a Recreational Pilot Permit, there should be little difficulty. You will be required to submit the required medical document (class 3 medical), will need to prepare for and write (and successfully pass) the Transport Canada appropriate pilot's exam, and get an endorsement from a licenced instructor for the type you will be flying. The regulations are remarkably similar and you should have little difficulty.

By the way, once you're accustomed to a little snow and how to deal with it, I think you'll find Canada is a land of kindred souls especially fond of Aussies. I know when my wife and I spent a year in Australia some time ago, it was more reminiscent of a "homecoming" than a "visit".

Best of luck,

Dan

Dan: Thanks! I was hoping it'd be fairly easy - Australia and Canada are both Commonwealth countries, and my wife's immigration was easier than a friend's immigration from the USA, so it ought to be similar with other things. Also, since i'm an aircraft maintenance engineer, i hope my licenses (when i get one) will transfer over without much fuss. I need a decently paying job! haha. And you're right. Canadians are very similar to Australians, except the french-speaking and the snow. That'll take some getting used to haha.

ticketyboo: My wife is from Sudbury, Ontario, so hopefully somewhere around there. I would like to get a job with Porter or Air Canada Jazz at Sudbury airport, but that's not likely. Anything will do as long as i don't have to work on Metros. *shudder*.

But that's a few years away anyway. I need a Dash8 or Q400 type license first, to be worth employing. And so i don't have to work for minimum wage (How can anyone live on $7.80 or whatever it is nowdays?)