What would you like?

Tomo

Ok, so being photo manager, and now that the Pacific flyer magazine comp has finished, I thought I better get some of your opinions on what you'd like to do.

Some people have mentioned we have our own competition, and put it into a Calendar? What do you say about that? Or is there anything else we could put photos on that would be good fun?

I've looked around at various photo calender places, all with-in similar price range. We could go for (in my opinion) ugly advertising types, or high quality photo wire bound type. With Recreationflying.net or something on the front cover. Only trouble with that is there is really nothing on there indicating or advertising this site once you turn the page up. But they look so much nicer.

I currently use iPhoto 'Keepsakes' program where you design what you want, and send it away, and you get the finished product in the mail. Very high quality, and pretty efficient. They are printed in the US believe it or not, but usually the books and stuff turn up just over a week, about 10 days.

Now the thing is they are about $20US each... So that will most likely make it a sell price of around $25 here I would think. Obviously dependent on what the dollar is up to at the time. There is probably an Aussie version of the same thing, but I find it just as easy to do this.

Anyway, your choice obviously

Here are some screen shots of what the idea could be like.

18138d1280643032-what-would-you-like-picture-3-jpg

18139d1280643032-what-would-you-like-picture-4-jpg

18140d1280643032-what-would-you-like-picture-5-jpg

394818302_Picture3.jpg.20e9989e796074895ec51ee75fb4a3ac.jpg

290095385_Picture4.jpg.8be210445249faa9dd1fca66c57a71b7.jpg

1010938856_Picture5.jpg.f4eec6c0f7460d7984beacec3a1f47a2.jpg

Tomo,

Fantastic, I would get a couple for xmas presents.

Just my opinion but it is good when the day squares are nice and big as many calendars squares are too small to write in or have every holiday and event that fill a lot of the squares so there is no room to write in them. The ones you have displayed look fine.

Hey Tomo - the calendar's a great idea, and I would be happy to pay with a good margin and have the funds go back into the site.

Especially like it if my plane made the cover:laugh: - I'm sure there will be heaps of great shots- go for it. Here's another...

[ATTACH]11601.vB[/ATTACH]:)

IMG_0362.thumb.jpg.72cddf15996baa2ee64dac8170c310e6.jpg

Guest davidh10

Tomo;

Have you looked at Redbubble? Its Australian. So keeps jobs here and encourages local business. Some of Redbubble's production is done in regional towns too, so supports country jobs. Of course it is open to anyone to set up their own account if they feel inclined.

The products aren't limited to calendars, but can be postcards, greeting cards, tee shirts, framed or mounted photos or even canvas prints.

Here's an example calendar that I created for this year, albeit not aviation related.

Quite separately, but related to your obtaining photographic content...

I'm not sure how many members actually read the Ts & Cs when they signed up, but under Terms of Service in Item 6, it effectively says that any content submitted to the site belongs to "Site Administration". This is effectively an assignment of copyright and is something that would stop some people, who understand what that means, from uploading any photos. This is the reason that I have only linked photos and not uploaded them. I may licence the use of my photos, but I do not assign copyright unless they have been taken as a paid assignment under an agreement to that effect.

Assigning copyright means that the person who took the photo no longer owns it and has no right to copy it post it elsewhere, sell copies, sub-licence etc..

Just for interest, it may not be popularly known, but the original copyright owner is the person who takes the picture, not necessarily the owner of the camera. So when someone else takes a photo on your camera, in theory they should be asked to assign copyright to you or licence it to you, otherwise you are not legally entitled to use the picture. Of course with family happy snaps, nobody bothers, but in commercial work, it matters.

perhaps you might like to change the site terms and conditions, such that the copyright holder grants a non-exclusive licence to use.

Thanks guys

It would be a competition based thing, so whoever wins gets their pic in it. :big_grin:

David: Thanks for that, no I hadn't looked at RB, it seems interesting. Can you change the layout, formats, styles etc... on those though?

I find it a bit hard to see how it works first, without actually uploading and submitting photos. Also how does the costing thing work? How do they charge you for the production, and what are their prices? Doesn't seem to be any information I can find on it.

Like you said it's good to bring it local, but the ease, choices and cost are a pretty steering factor. Not sure if you've ever used the iPhoto keepsakes thing, but it's got hundreds of styles, shapes, sizes, colours, and what you can do, such as - mini photos in the date box... plus you can write in whatever you want there too - up coming events for the yr. ie. Natfly etc... Attached pic.

Gnome: Yes all the holidays and whatever, you can choose whatever country you want. I'll put a few screen shots up of what I'm talking about.

iPhoto print products May give you an idea on what I'm talking about. Mind you I'm open to other companies, just I've dealt with these guys, the quality and speed is next to none. So that's probably why I'm leaning that way. But it's up to you really.

This is the filling in the date thingo... random pictures, captions etc... (I've filled in the 10th - it's in red) The holidays and that are automatic.

18144d1280696233-what-would-you-like-picture-6-jpg

Different countries

18145d1280696233-what-would-you-like-picture-7-jpg

A lot of styles, personally I like the box to write things in.

18146d1280696233-what-would-you-like-picture-8-jpg

402337906_Picture6.jpg.ae0bd81ceb0549ad8858b13bf7a5bdbf.jpg

1037386921_Picture7.jpg.6cddf9e8f98e454d6d7886e897159027.jpg

1710210099_Picture8.jpg.515fc1d0554b94b8f3afe7337129a9a4.jpg

Guest davidh10
...David: Thanks for that, no I hadn't looked at RB, it seems interesting. Can you change the layout, formats, styles etc... on those though? I find it a bit hard to see how it works first, without actually uploading and submitting photos. Also how does the costing thing work? How do they charge you for the production, and what are their prices? Doesn't seem to be any information I can find on it.

Tomo;

For RB, there is only one calendar format. It looks the same as the preview. Either you like it or not as the case may be :ah_oh:. The account holder assigns a picture to each month and the cover, plus a cover message. The caption for each picture is printed at the bottom of the page on which it appears, along with the "by -artistname-". The calendars are printed on 200gsm satin art paper at A3 size and spiral bound. The quality is very high. You do need high resolution images to upload. RBs system will detect if the image has insufficient resolution (Minimum 2182x1906 pixels for the months and 2371x2875 pixels for the cover), as they do not want to reproduce poor resolution / low quality images.

I bought some of my own ( similar to the public one, but with a personal picture on the cover) and gave to family and friends for Christmas. Everyone loved them.

A recent change is that the buyer can now specify in what month they want the calendar to start, so it does not have to be January. Current date range allows a starting month up to January 2012, for those who get ahead of themselves:laugh:

RB has a fixed production cost for each product (currently A$22 for Calendar), upon which the author specifies a percentage mark-up. RB handles all the orders, credit cards, currency, GST / VAT, returns, refunds, packaging, shipping worldwide etc..

Hope that saves you some digging time.

It may not be what you want to do... just a candidate. keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif Every candidate will have its own set of +++ and ---.

Hi Tomo am I imagining it or is your calender not got the 1st on it. The original one looks great though. Sue

Imaging it Sue, though if you looked at the second screen shot down the page, it's just a section of the calender, so that is possibly where it is missing.

If we get interest for 25 or more, we'll get a bulk discount.

Fantastico!

Ok, so we need to get started with some pictures hey...

...not here though, we'll start a new thread for that. And that is Here