Wairarapa kit plane builders...

I am planning to order a kit plane for me to start on some time during 2011. I am still deciding which one to get but I have a short short-list of STOL-capable, high-wing, all-metal kit planes.

Are there any aeroplane builders, kit plane assemblers or "microlight" constructors out there between the Tararuas and the Pacific?

I would be interested what you are building.

Hank

Wairarapa aerial view

Here are some pictures I took of some of the Wairarapa valley yesterday. There is still some snow on the higher peaks of the Tararua mountains. The town visible in the foreground is Carterton

1158216725_CartertonAerialViewcompressed.thumb.jpg.af6a805a7ae22c282e9b20cbee5f1155.jpg

579303062_Tararuaswithsnowcompressed.thumb.jpg.47caed18ad0f6dbfdfdba3e1edf1a7c1.jpg

Hank, that sure looks pretty. I was in New Zealand last year and took a flight over the 3 volcanoes (sorry I can't spell them) in the north Island - absolutely stunning! Not only the volcanoes themselves but the surrounding country side was beautiful too. Lucky fella.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Hank, I am Watto or Tony Watkin, I have just purchased Bushcaddy international, check out www.bushcaddy.com and you will see some real all metal bush planes that may take your fancy, there is already a builder in NZ with an R80.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi kiwilad,

Yes, the CH-701 is on the short list. I did sit in one during last summer but the seat was set too high for a tall guy like me and my head touched the plexiglass ceiling. I have since found out the seats can be adjusted up or down at the time of construction.

Do you fly the 701 much? How long have you owned your wee machine?

Hi Hank

I'm in it every chance I get. Have had it in the air for about 2 mths,clocked up 32 hrs .Its just great fun.. Brought it from Wairoa in May.

Yer,it was on there. The builder "JRT" did a real nice job,it flys beautifully (582). No I trailered it down,it hadn't been flown for nearly a year,and I didn't have a chance to do a real thorough once over.

Gidday Hank. I'm just over the hill in Lower Hutt. I'm building a (slightly modified) Hummelbird. I built another one previous to this one, strictly to the plans. An awesome machine, not STOL though. If I was wanting a STOL aircraft, the CH701 would be on my short list, as would the Aussi "Hornet".