Human Factors Exam RAA

Guest burbles1

For me, the Bob Tait Human Factors book and the RA-Aus Generic Pilot Proficiency program covered the topic pretty well.

You need to learn how to maneuver tricky multiple choice questions. As my examiner cautioned, don't just go for what seems to be the obvious correct answer. Very often, the most likely looking first choice is a trap, with double negatives and false leads cleverly built in. His advice was to first eliminate the obvious wrong choices, usually two of them. Then carefully examine the remaining two for the correct answer. Many of the questions are more a test of your ability to analyse tricky wording rather than just understand the issue.

If you are going to sit the RAA Human Factors exam then you should get the RAA text. I can't remember the name of the thing now. Now well written, but some of the questions are taken out of that book. One question I got related to a particular HF system which is mentioned in this book and not in any others I have read - and I read widely. Something like "Which of the following is NOT a component of the BlahBlah Management System" Another series of questions related to a scenario which is played out in the book. If you took the incident in isolation you would get the answer wrong. The correctness of the answers in the book is debatable and the book and exam don't sing the same health message as the various Govt Health Promotions. However, it does not matter what you think, just give the examiner what he wants - you need 80% for a pass. Have heard that the exam is to be rewritten soon.

Any other reading on human factors would be beneficial for your own growth and understanding. People who have done a HF course are much happier than those of us who had to rely on the book alone.

Sue