Home study

Guest Damodamo1

Guest Damodamo1

hi guys,

I was just wondering about home study. How often do you read your books? How do you study?

There is three books, and Im not sure if I should read them before I get the theory from my instructor. There is a lot of information to remember so there must be things more important than other. :big_grin:

Im lucky I never work on the morning so I can study from 9 am to 2pm everyday! lol

Guest milton56

Hi Damo, Mate have a read through of the books to get a basic idea but don't try to understand it all in one go. Ask your instructor which areas you should concentrate on before your lessons so you will understand that part much easier.

Milton

I certainly think you should study the topic in the book that will be covered in your next lesson before going to the lesson. People with terrible short term memory like myself need to revise too. I think it is about a year since I got my certificate and I recognise that there are some topics that have faded so once I get at least one of my current projects done I plan to brush up again. Reading up before hand gives you time to put together any questions you might have to the instructor.

I read all the books from front to back then kept revising those chapters I had trouble with. I am not a good communicator, especially when I am not 100% sure of myself so it probably seemed I didn't study much to my instructors (hi guys!) :-)

Study .. Fact retention.

IF there is anything that doesn't make sense, check it out. It's not dumb to ask. It's dumber not to. Once something makes sense to you you retain it longer.

For your memory, draw diagrams and summaries and add notes to your books If necessary.

Learning by numbers, or repetition, is not retained anything like as well as when it becomes logical and sensible. Doing actions as well as reading will re-inforce the input. ( Like walking around a circuit in your room while reciting your checks and radio calls) Nev

Like walking around a circuit in your room while reciting your checks and radio calls

This is a good suggestion, I did this exact thing (except I did it going around and around the rectangular lawn in my backyard). I'm sure the neighbours thought I was a nutter but it definitely helped.

My piece of advice is to not decide to learn all of the information for your BAK test in one week. It is doable (I did it) but I spent pretty much all of my time during that week studying it and I'd definitely suggest that you learn it all slower over a longer period of time, if only for your own stress-levels 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Damo your instructor will absolutely love it if you read ahead a bit so you understand what you are doing in your next lessons. You will be given a briefing anyway, but if you've read the topic the briefing will sink in better, and the briefing will clarify points you may not have understood in the text books.

There is quite a lot of theory to learn and you can't learn too much! Do try to absorb it rather than skim it.

Where are you up to in your training?

Step by step, day by day, section by section. It's much easier to take in a small amount every day than an indigestible lump just before you need it.

( p.s. I wish I'd known that when I was at school! 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif )

My instructor showed me in the book what our next lesson would cover, so I studied up on that bit - in more depth before the actual lesson.

Helped all concerned I think, as we both new what language each of us were talking in.

Don't worry about the Nav/Met stuff yet, read it if you want, but you won't need it just yet.

Focus on your BAK book, as that is pretty much all you 'really' need to gain your GFPT. (if using Bob Tait - not sure what ATC books cover)

If you aren't sure on anything, as Cficare said, let us know - there are plenty to help out. Don't forget your instructor though. :big_grin:

Just do little bits, then ask yourself the questions, over an over. It happens! :big_grin:

Guest Damodamo1

Thanks a lot for all those answers. You guy's are awesome! I already love this forum! lol Can't wait for my second flight tomorrow!

Hey how cool is that: I can pay for my flight with my credit card, earn frequent flyer points so at the end of my CPL I should be able to go and see mommy in France for free :big_grin:

Damo if you have 3 books you probably have a BAK and a flying training manual. The training manual will have the practical lessons, so read through the effects of controls and straight and level lessons. The newer ATC BAK book has a bit of general stuff in the front which is good information, plus effects of controls & straight and level.

That's assuming you are up to straight and level! If your first lesson was a TIF you might be doing effects of controls.