My Ga training - Lesson 3

Well as the title indicates, I did my third lesson, or session yesterday (Sat).

Headed over Friday evening. Arrived at the airfield about 9am the next morning and walked around checking a few others out. Watched the P51 Mustang start up and do it's ground runs. Man it sounds so nice!! :thumb_up:

My plane came back in indicating It was my turn. So over to the briefing room, and he put me through the theoretical parts of a few different things. The aim today was to do Short fielders, and a quick buzz around the boundaries of the training area so I knew where I could go for solo stuff.

I figured since we were going to be in the training area for a bit, I would like him to go over my Stalling procedure. Had done it before, but just wanted his critique on me, as he picks you up on any mistakes. Something I wanted to be certain I did correct.

So while we were covering some theory, we ran through a bit of aerodynamics and stuff on the white board, was good fun, and refreshing.

Out to the plane, checked it off, and found we needed some fuel... so he disappeared to get something while I started up and taxied over, and fueled up.

That all done, piled in, gave him my passenger brief, started up and taxied over toward 30. Run ups, pre take off checks, line up... full power and away we go!

Climbing up to sufficient height, whilst he showed me what makes the boundaries of the training area, and so on. HASELL checks, and power off, stick back, horn blasts, slight buffet... release back pressure, power on, and Bob's your uncle.

Did half a dozen in different configurations, power on, flapped... those two give you a nice wing drop!

He told me I did it very well, was pleasing to know. I probably didn't really need to go through it, but it was good to get his opinion on me.

Did an inbound call, and was soon joining crosswind for 30. Just did a normal landing to see If I've got the handle of this thing still, was quite good, so around we go... this time setting up for a short field landing. Once established on final and happy, full flap is on, and back to 60kts (58kts is in the book, but 60 is a better number to read on the ASI). Using power to control the height, you plant it on the piano keys, jump on the brakes, and Bob's your uncle (didn't know you had so many uncles did you?!)

Take off - On the brakes, full power, release... once 60kts (59kts is Vx) is attained up you go... pretty much feels like you're hanging off the poor prop, clear obstacles, you lower the nose and climb out like normal.

Did a couple of these with him and then pulled up and went back to the school to drop him off. I shut down and went and refilled my water bottle, and grabbed my camera. To which I taped to the dashboard... I got in two landings before the memory ran out. So you've got a bit of video this time.

I went out and played around for a while, doing short fielders, flapless (wouldn't want too short a runway for them!!) Minimal flap, and all sorts of different stuff.

I like the 40 flap landings, lands a lot nicer I reckon. Once you flare it feels as if someone just walked out and grabbed the tail, and it just sits down on the ground.

Flapless was pretty cool, come in, flare and it's a wonder CASA don't come out and book you for doing a low level runway pass!! I'd hate to have an electrical failure and only a short strip to play with.

Anyway, Didn't do anything real exciting this time as I had to hurry off for my 300 odd klm trip back home for a music practice they suddenly needed me in.

So an hr of Dual, and 0.9 Solo, and awesome weather to compliment it.

Here is a video of a normal 40 flap landing, then a short field landing/take off. Wasn't the best short field landing I might add, wasn't really impressed at myself at all. Tell you what, that sandy dirt stuff certainly keeps you on the toes! Slip sliding everywhere! I reckon it'd be dangerous without differential brakes, I doubt rudder authority would pull you around normally if you hit a soft spot.

Anyway, next time we hit the instruments... now that's something a little from the norm!

Good one Tom.

Are you finding there is much new that you hadn't previously learnt in RAAus training. Not having done RAAus training I don't know what the differences are in the theory. I reckon the C150 would be easier to fly than the Jabiru. The old cessnas which had manual flaps were great and didn't depend on electrics to work. Be careful with electric flaps, Cessna have used several different control mechanisms, some keep going to the limits when you remove the inger withoud centreing them and others only work when your finger is on the switch. It caught me years ago and I havn't forgotten. Without flaps you could always slip it in to get on the ground.

Good work Tomo. I was doing circuits in the Cub on saturday morning at Boonah and heard a Jabiru overflying for Dalby, was that you?

I reckon your next challenge should be to get a "real" tailwheel endorsement, you sound like you won't have too much difficulty with it.

Thanks guys.

Yenn: Yes know what you mean about the flap switches, Jabiru's you have to hold down till you get to the position. This one you just move to the 10, 20, 30, 40 degree position and it does the rest.

Justin: Only for my GA training I do, I usually like to fly over, but it does get exy doing it like that. Probably fly over next time. Depends on funds and weather.

David: Yes I will, he has a Cub there also, might do some in that sometime. You coming to Dalby on Saturday?