Why Do our communites need Airports?

Guest AusDarren

Guest AusDarren

Airport Facts

(courtesy: Houston Executive Airport)

• Airports are good neighbors.

• Airports provide educational opportunities for young people.

• Airports support law enforcement, search and rescue, and medical evacuation.

• Airports are quiet, secure, clean, green, and safe.

• Airports support charities and host community events.

• Airports are good for business.

• Airports attract high-quality businesses.

• Airports facilitate commerce.

• Airports disseminate technology and encourage innovation.

• Airports encourage the creation of small businesses.

• Airports are good for community development.

• Airports create skilled, high-paying jobs.

• Airports provide access to the world for businesses and individuals.

• Airports generate property tax and other tax revenue.

• Airports provide infrastructure useful outside the airport.

sadly Aussie airports are

. Perfect level housing estates.

. provide revenue to council through rate charges.

. Create massive profits for property developers, by developing land that was originally owned by the taxpayer

All this is true however in my area the problem seems to be a long history of politics and the local council doesn't seem interested in doing anything.

Being on the airfield committee I have found it frustrating to say the least to try and get any development passed through council we even have trouble getting the grass mowed to keep the place tidy.

We live in a great location for flying close to two major towns Albury & Wagga most days flying conditions are fantastic and I believe if council where able to see beyond the childish politics it would see the greatest assert the shire has. Small country areas are in need of something other that cows and sheep to keep their economy moving and they must look beyond the square seeing more than the short term $ signs and look at the growth in recreational aviation and plain fro the long term future of these assets.

Now I can get down of my soap box.

Don

Well said Don.

Our club, Snowy River Aviators, has just completed a long and diffcult process to get approval to purchase and develop a new airfield at Adaminaby.

I came in late in the piece, but from what I know of the process, politics provided the biggest obstacle.

The community is right behind the project though. The first hangars are due to go up very soon now. Just a short hop to Holbrook too.

Fact summary:

• Airports rock

Ross

it is a sad state to be in, do we get tax breaks when the airfields are sold? as a taxpayer, we do own the airports! and what part of the profit do we see?

sadly i think the future here will be private airfields and airparks, but fortunately there is a glimmer of hope as some councils have realised the value of their airports!

now if only we had the political clout, the money to establish a airport for the use of all pilots on the land reserved for the future badgeries creek aiport!

would it be possible to lease the land from the govt to develop a simple grass strip airport on the site?

it would take some heat off the govt as it would be private enterprise starting the airfield, and in a decade or 2 when the govt goes ahead with the 2nd syd airport, it will be an easier political pill to swallow as there is already an established airfield there! and will get less public resistance. not only that, but a clause could be written in the contract for the govt to buy out the lease when they do want to build an international airport!

what ya think? could the RAAus help in such a plan?

Hi Paul I had a trip to Townsvill for my son then on our return I moved to Alubry been a busy month or so, hopfully everything will settle down and I can get back in the swing of things.

Don

As you'll see from my details, I'm on a full security airport, but which has only 2 RPT flights daily.

I've been on the Airport Consultative Committee for 7 years, and in that time, have seen the City's attitudes toward GA and RAA changing - thankfully for the better. It very much depends on the councillors and the staff, and how we pilots and owners can relate to them. Unfortunately,some of them have preconceived predjudices towards aviation - and this is a challenge.

Things are on the improve though, with new staff and a more positive attitude toward using the airport to create opportunities for the city, rather than looking at it as a cost.

Landing fees are about to be abolished because of the cost of collection - which we told them at the time.

Hangar sites are being created - in 2003 there was a backlog of 18 applications,and that's increased as more retirees head for the coast.

Of course, there's the airpark approach, but there are some downsides to these as well. Even with committed aviation residents - training can be a nuisance, and if there are close neighbours - it's worse. Around here, with the price of land skyrocketing, building an airpark would be a very unprofitable exercise. A couple have been mooted, but I'll be surprised to see them open. You don't move to the coast, then live 20nm inland so you can be on an airpark with 10-15 degree higher temps.

I must admit to originally thinking that we had to get out of the main airport and 'do our own thing'. I'm now of the opinion that we need to work with the airport owners so that we enjoy good facilities, at modest cost, and close to town - while they have an asset which is beginning to earn it's way via the extra people going through the gate, rather than through inflated charges on existing users.

happy days,

Guest forever.flyer

i just bought the DVD "16 right" it seems that in the USA they are having the same problems as we do, Airports are getting closed for developers how sad. What surprised me was the story behind the Chicago airport, the mayor wanted to close the airport and turn it into a park and name it after his wife, they airport commitee suggested naming the airport after his wife. it wasnt good enough one night he ordered bull dozers in and made 2foot deep crosses across the runway. The next morning when the pilots come out for there flying lessons and all the other activty that goes on they where just shockedas they couldnt use the runway. What a way to get what you want!!!

In my short time within the flying fraternity I have also found that many flyer's are their own worst enemies.

Over the years they have fragmented into little groups each group thinking they are the true flyer's and because there is no unity Governments and councils have gotten away with so much. Its a bit late to call for unity after the event, If every organisation that represents a flying group where to put aside their petty stupidities and had a united voice {because politicians work on one election to the other that's as far as their thinking goes} The flying fraternity may be able to achieve a better outcome to many of their problems.

Even the petty internal politics within the ultralight fraternity is self defeating and only serves to make progress even harder.

Don

Don

Flying fraternity ha! The common interest may be flying...but that is where it stops, full stop. If one section of aviation thinks it will benefit from the demise of another then watch out.

I have been involved with aviation in its various forms since 1955 and I have seen some foul acts performed within the so-called 'fraternity.'

The 'dog-eat-dog' attitudes may have existed before 1955, but in those days I saw the world through rose coloured glasses as I had spent six years of my childhood living with a World War, the Korean War was over, and the world looked great.

Then Ansett scuttled Butler and that to me is the epitome of everything that has happened within the aviation industry ever since. It is a ruthless business. A 'BUGGER-YOU-JACK' 'fraternity'.

I really don't think the regulator sponsored this sort of attitude but I can assure you they did nothing to bridge the gaps...divided and conquered was the result for aviation.

Look what happened when our Prime Minister Bob Hawk described airline pilots as glorified overpaid train drivers.

You called me an old cynic once before, Don. You were probably right.

The 'brick walls' confronting the aviation industry in this country (probably the world) are now solid like the Great Wall of China. It is a waste of time trying to breach the walls, so do what I do when confronted with barriers...just mosey on around the end of them.

Closure of GA facilities is endemic. Who's going to stop Macquarie Bank and the like? Not a fragmented aviation industry, that's for sure. So individual groups just put their tails between their legs and move on.

I wish it was not so!

Bruce

I don't recall calling you an old cynic however that could well be right.

All in all I agree with what you say and its very sad that those with a common love can't put their childish foolishnesses a side for the sake of that passion.

Maybe I'm still young enough in aviation to still be wearing those rose colored glasses and believe that we get what deserve and maybe, just maybe someone can find that common denominator that will shake us all out of our complacency.

Don

Guest AusDarren

AOPA in the USA is VERY effective at being the Primary advocate for aviation in their country, They have their own press office to make sensible comment whenever a news story surfaces, They have developed strong contacts on Capital Hill, They have even successfully supported pro aviation candidates (from both sides) in elections, their political clout is strong, and appears to be on the increase.

AOPA Australia became active for a while when Dick Smith and then Boyd Munro were involved.

Boyd has had more success in this country than anyone else. (my opinion)

AOPA in the USA has over 400,000 members, that gives them the clout, and some finances to do the Job for their members. It can be achieved, but takes a lot of work, but more than that, the desire to be treated as one. I think the divide between GA and recreational is becoming smaller, though it is still substantial in some locations.

With goodwill much can be achieved..

Regards,

AusDarren

Guest AusDarren

AOPA USA is hugely active, with their website being updated within hours of breaking news, Just today it was updated with the release of the Presidents budget, which plans the introduction of user fees..

However they are trying to lobby to have it overturned. I wish them success..

AOPA Australia, well the most recent news on their web page was Nov last year,

so they do not give the appearance of being very active..

Does this answer your Question Danda?

Regards,

AusDarren

So the search for that common denominator for unity goes on.

I was thinking (which is not easy for me) we humans can so often shoot ourselves in the foot, we are a selfish lot at times.

Don