New Lazair almost ready

Guest ozzie

A very rare series 3 lazair kit has just been completed and is undergoing the rego process at Mudgee. powered by the 185 Rotax it has the wide gear. should be gracing the skies soon.

looks a lot shinier than my 30 year old series one. Go Wayne!

89901360_Series3mudgee.thumb.jpg.cc60170bf8b28ca7585df31bcd264182.jpg

Maj,

No, he will be flying it on a new cert, gained in a jabba. advice i've given is get onto the grass and stay away from the asphalt and don't over inflate the tyres stick to 10/ 15 psi. fingers crossed.

BTW have they changed the inspection level even tho a series three they are accepting as type approved but will require level 4, i had level two do mine

Ozzie

Guest Maj Millard

Good advice there Ozzie in respect to staying on the grass. Can't imagine putting a Lazair onto pavement. Also if he happens to lose an engine at all (I did on my first flight) tell him to just switch the other one off once he has the runway made. They fly and land great without the power. Additionally you may want to mention to him the need for a bit of rudder in the turns to compensate for the adverse yaw effect of the 36ft span wing....yes indeed, good luck....It would look great on the front cover of our mag wouldn't it ?........................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Maj, you silly moo, I know you know that rag & tube hardly features in the ultralight mag anymore. Maybe if someone put out a carbon fibre Lazair that sells for just over $75K then at least the name of the 'raison d'etre' (hi drag - low inertia that started us off) would get some coverage. I'd be willing to bet that (apart from we old f**ts), without being shown a picture, the majority of present day RAA certificate holders wouldn't know what a Lazair was. I despair of the speed that traditional ultralights are being forgotten/bypassed by both regulating authorities and the media (or maybe I'm just too old & crusty to keep up with change?) Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

Why carbon fibre? the only thing that really needs an update with for the lazair is the foam ribs to something more current. add electric engines and a 30 year old design will slip straight into the 21st century. Ohh i forgot a lot of people feel insecure sitting outside so maybe a full carbon fibre enclosed pod would sell a few more. But 75 grand!! geared up you could put the series 3 back into production with 15horse Solo (Hirth) engines for under 20,000 MAX in 51% kit. easy. plenty of good nik series 3 in US for sale < under 5/6 grand. soar your heart out all day long.

Guest Maj Millard

Riley, Maybe the powers to be would like to see the old rag-n-tube dissappear into the past, and everything else rush as rapidly as possible to become the new GA ?. That could be their grand plan. It's up to us old ****s to do what we can to slow the whole thing down a bit if we can..It'll all go round and round again anyway. For instance look at the personal sport plane of the 20s and 30s (particulary in England), they were just ULs, with a power problem. We resurected them again in the 70s and 80s, and ...well ended up giving them good power !..................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 5 months later...