What is a "saturn"?

Guest rocketdriver

Guest rocketdriver

OK smarty pants ..this is an aviation forum :big_grin:....... a "saturn" is an engine used in amateur built aeroplanes in the USA ... I think (but not sure) that it came from a Mitsubishi car and it is said to have been made using the "lost foam" method of casting whatever that is.

What I really want to know is what is the local engine equivelent (if any), what horsepower does it develop, can parts be sourced for it and is any one using it .....

The Saturn engine was a 1600 c.c. unit, used here in Australia in the early Mitsubishi L300 and Colt series, IIRC. It didn't have the balance shaft featured in the bigger capacity Astron series engine seen in the Sigmas. The Saturn was also used in some Hyundai models, built in Korea under licence......John.

See here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Saturn_engine

Lost foam casting.

Probably off topic, but the question was asked. Lost foam casting is where a polystyrene plug is used to set the green sand. In conventional casting a wooden plug is used which has to be removed before the metal is poured. Lost foam means the plug can be left in and when the metal is poured it vapourises.

Cheers, Ding.

Sand casting is what you are referring to. whether it is a wood plug or foam. tried this once with a engine that was built for the Condor ultralight. based on a yamaha 360 single. same thing can't get the fins thin enough or enough of them. The metal cools unevenly. The crackcases ended up being pouris. the cast metal was a bit of a pain to machine as it came out 'cheesy' and brittle. The engine ran great but overheated in about 15 mins.

I remember the saturn engine manufactured in Australia by Chrysler before they folded in Mitsubishi