Sonerai II

Spin

Does anyone here have any direct knowledge of these aircraft? I was told years ago by a fairly experienced pilot that they are slippery, twitchy beasties, not for the inexperienced, however having had a bit to do with a couple of very enthusiastic owners lately, I am beginning to wonder whether he wasn't over-egging the pudding a little.

Friend of mine, with newly minted licence, bought one and had to fly it back to Qld. He had terrible experiences with it and at one stage thought about leaving it where he landed and never flying it again. We nicknamed it "Lyle's Death Trap" but he determined that he would get back on the horse and tame it. He did that by entering the Outback Air Race (not a race at all) retracing the old aerial mail route from Charleville, Longreach, Cloncurry, across to the east coast then back through Emerald and finishing in Roma. The participants always held their breath when he came in to land. He mastered it and moved on to other aircraft. QWERTY knows the original owner and he and Lyle were mates in their younger years.

My better half is not convinced the rudder is big enough. They are slippery, but it depends what you compare it with and what your experience is. Our lightwing is a dog, but once you understand it you can handle it. The danger is coming from a very docile aircraft and expecting the same good behaviour from the next one.

Sue

Thanks Sue, Daryl - I tried a stretched version on for size, fit fine so that is ok, I believe the original with the midwing was very tight though. Most here seem to be the IIL, ie low wing. I did notice that one of the locals had put a larger, semi rounded rudder onto his, so your other half may be onto something, Sue. You probably also summed it up perfectly - depends what your experience is and what you're expecting. A friend who flies Airbus for a living and C182 for fun, is quite rude about a Tecnam too, twitchy was one of the more polite words used and yet anyone who is used to the lighter side of flying seems to find them thoroughly well mannered little aircraft.

I guess I need to polish my skills in aircraft with the little wheel in the right place before I get too far ahead of myself:laugh: