Hiring Aircraft prices

Guest disperse

Guest disperse

I'm just curious as to the cost's involved in hiring aircraft for trips etc.

Also if I was to hire out my own (say a tecnam sierra ) 1: for other pilots and 2: training.

besides general wear and tear. who pays for the damage. I'm guessing my ins.

What sort of money would be in the fair range ????

Regards

Pilots listed on insurance policy, Completed Type conversion/Test flight with CFI, To CFI and your satifaction, Minimum hours and touch and goes per Month or another check flight, Hourly Rate Wet or Dry and Hirer Pays Excess of Insurance incase of misfortune. just some ideas!

Have a Tecnam fully optioned with Dynon, Autopilot, Transponder, BRS, 3D Traffic Alert and GPS in our area on limited hire @ $127 inc gst Wet Hire, excess @ $1500

Guest disperse

Thanks for this.... what is classed as min hours and touch and go's.

Also suggestions for insurance company's I will have to start ringing around soon to get the figures together

Regards

To hire a fully equipped Tecnam at Boonah it is around $150 per hour.

If the aircraft is being used for training and TIF's etc.. with beginners you must accept an increase of wear and tear than that of a private aircraft ( we all remember our first attempts at landing right? LOL)

Jees David, and I thought RAA was supposed to be a lot cheaper than GA. You can hire C150s for less than that and some C172s are not much dearer.

David

Not around here you can't. Would be delighted to be proven wrong and would move regaining my PPL to the top of the list. David / Tomo, you guys are flying Cessnas at the moment, what are you paying at Archerfield and Caboolture respectively?

You're right Spin, I would love to know of anywhere you can hire a Cessna for $150 per hour. David Isaac, are you able to prove that? You will find it is closer to $200 per hour and if you fly out of Archerfield the landing fee for a 152 is $28.00.

Hiring a cessna 172 will cost more like $250 per hour.

Let's look at the value for money you get:

I think $150 for a brand new tecnam is not too bad, with GPS and glass instrumentation AND not forgetting that the tecnam is bigger inside and more comfortable than a Cessna, needs a smaller airstrip than a Cessna, climbs at nearly 1000fpm (lucky getting 500fpm in a 150) and cruises easily over 100knots you can go further, quicker.

The Drifter will always be my favourite though.

Guest Pioneer200

Come to NZ for a flying holiday, I pay $100 hr for either a J160 or Pioneer 200.

In an hours flying where I live we can visit the Southern Alps and the Pacific coast :big_grin::big_grin:

Any of you coming over this way send me a message and we can arrange a flight:cool:

I live 85km sth of Christchurch, just far enough away to avoid most of the carnage of the recent earthquake

Guest kiwilad

Same here, the club Rans Coyote can be hired for $ 100 wet,a bloke comes over from UK each year and takes it for a month

Come to NZ for a flying holiday, I pay $100 hr for either a J160 or Pioneer 200.In an hours flying where I live we can visit the Southern Alps and the Pacific coast :big_grin::big_grin:

Any of you coming over this way send me a message and we can arrange a flight:cool:

I live 85km sth of Christchurch, just far enough away to avoid most of the carnage of the recent earthquake

Will certainly keep that in mind, thanks Pioneer.

Guys - I pay $260 hr dual for a 172, $210 or something wet hire.

J120 - $110 wet

J230 - $100 dry

Drifters - $0 to $90 wet

Tecnam I think is around $145 wet

Etc etc...

Mates rates are the most affordable. :big_grin:

Guest disperse

Thanks guy's, It's a tax thing mostly....sort of. Really just getting a feel for a few things. Then I can crunch some rough numbers. And if they look good I can look at more solid numbers.

Nothing like enjoying a expensive hobby AND CLAIMING IT ON YOUR TAX !!!

Wet meaning fuel is included in the hire price and dry meaning fuel is not included. At least that's my understanding.

I pay $260/hr dual for a C152A, $155 dual for a J160 and $125 solo for a J160, all wet. Just to give you an idea of costing.

Thanks,

Andrew

Guest basscheffers
Nothing like enjoying a expensive hobby AND CLAIMING IT ON YOUR TAX !!!

You can't claim your personal use of the aircraft.

There is only one way to make it pay for itself: keep the prop turning and bill lots of hours!

From my experience with a $90K aircraft you will likely need 400-500+ hours or more per year. That way the clients will pay for the loan, maintenance, insurance, hangar, etc. and you get to take it out for free.

Just don't tell the tax man.

Insurance does cost more, but that much. Think at the most $1000/year more compared too having it fully insured with only you on the ticket. If you get your 400 hours, that's only $2.50 and hour...

Just don't think of it as "your baby" anymore; it will get scratches, dings, scrapes and dirt. It's a business.

Guest basscheffers
$155 for dual for the J160 implies your instructor is working for just $30 per hour - that is a bargain!

Not necessarily; both for hire and dual, the school should charge what the market can bear. In the case of dual, that means taking a hit on the hire rate. Better for the school owner to get 50% of something than 100% of nothing...

My rate to the school is the same regardless of use. The difference between the school's hire and dual rates is less than what I know the instructors make.

Guest basscheffers
Keep in mind all maintenance must be by LAME or L2 with appropritate qualifications.

That is not correct, it must be done by a L2; a LAME does not automatically qualify as L2.

The reason for this is that just because you are familiar with metal Pipers and Cessnas with Lycomings, that doesn't mean they are OK on a plastic fantastic with a Rotax.

I recently had this discussion with Steve Bell as my L2 was out of town but had a LAME available. Steve can authorise this (as he did) after talking to them, since in this case it wasn't anything special, just a brake problem.

But to be permanently able to do maintenance, a LAME must be an RA-Aus member with L2 qualifications. (which shouldn't be hard to get for them!)