Storms Wed 7th Feb 2007

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

It's all happening this afternoon/evening.Just got back from being up most of the day at work on the Central Coast.Some excellent cloud to ground strikes there while driving back on the F3! :)

A little Wx summary of todays storms below.

This from the media:

Hail storms belt Blue Mountains

February 07, 2007 06:39pm

Article from: AAP

HAILSTONES have battered the Blue Mountains city of Lithgow as storms swept across the region today.

The Bureau of Meteorology recorded hailstones as big as golf balls, up to 6cm in diameter, before the storm system made its way over the mountains towards Sydney.

While Sydney would experience thunderstorms, the storm system was expected to weaken as it moved east.

Sydney Airport warned travellers that flights might be delayed.

Hopefully this storm activity has brought some much needed rain to the state.

The latest satellite image is below and the storm activity can certainly be seen on the east coast and parts of Northern NSW.

Storms in Sydney from the West and contacted later to the NE.Plenty of lightning strikes about too. Below is an image of the current lightning activity:

Not sure how much rain we had here in the Western Sydney area but I will check my rain gauge at 9am tomorrow.Currently here it is 20.7 the wind is from the West at 0.5km/h and the humidity is 63%. Would be interested to hear about any other storm activity other members may have observed in their areas today.

the storms hit Port Stevens and Nelson bay area where i am pretty spectacularly, Lot of close strikes, plenty of heavy rain, but fortunatly no hail, as my vampire is currently in my back yard waiting for a spot in a hangar at cessnock. i spent a frantic evening covering her with towels and other blankets, in such a way to prevent them resting on the airframe as they soaked up water and to limit hail damage if any. fortunately only heavy rain, and guess what, its all my fault! blame me! i waxed her yesterday evening

We are not far from Cessnock. two of our three water tanks are full for the first time in over a year. The third is about 2/3 full. so could you wax that Vampire just a bit more. Just hope no bush fires were started with all that lightning.

oz

Guest Fred Bear

Yes, thought you guys got some up there on the North Coast. Looks like there may be some more this way this afternoon.Western Sydney was covered in a thick fog this morning.

Guest David C

Not much to report on down here Darren .... Only a little rain and a LOAD of lightning . BTW I was around BK yesterday afternoon and witnessed a PA31 making a very " interesting " approach to r/w 11C in the stormy conditions over there .

Dave

We got some hailstones, medium size.. Not much damage.. Being around 1 hr and half from Lithgow and a good dose of rain to keep the dust down.

Bushfires have sparked over night from lightning and now we have the Piper Pawnee Ag Bombers at our airport... Spectacular aircraft.

As always we here down south had nothing:crying: lake hume is down to 2.7% the other day maybe Ultralights you can fly that pride and joy down here and polish it we will even give you a hanger to put her in for a few days.

Don

Well we sure can leave it outside for you, we are so desperate that we will try anything If you can't come do you or anyone else know any Indians maybe a good old rain dance will work?

Don