Jumping from an RAA aircraft?

Tomo

My cousin who skydives just asked if he could jump from my aircraft, I said the most suitable would be the drifter I suppose, as I've seen videos of people jumping from them.

So was going to ask if there were any restrictions of someone doing that from an RAA aircraft? I've also seen people jump from trikes, so I'm assuming it's allowed?

Other than what is in the Reg's for how and when and where you can drop chutes, is there any other requirements needed to do it?

Obviously with our RAA aircraft and fantastic rules, we can only go to 5000', would take a while in a Drifter anyway!

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Guest Toally87

i've got a mate who's a meatbomb and he's keen to jump from RAA, i dare say we'll both look into our sides rules before we team up for some fun.

Don't think a cheetah is a suitable steed for this game though.

a Savvy, lightwing or something with a centre stick would probly work though.

Toally

There is no exemption in the Ops manual so CAR1988 applies - needs written permission of CASA plus done in accordance with their requirements (or words to that effect)

RAAus can't/won't approve it without the CASA permission so effectively its illegal.

I've been through all this first hand - as has been mentioned here before, the existence of youtube clips showing people doing it doesn't make it legit !

Cheers

John

CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS (1988)

CAR 150 Dropping of articles

(1) Subject to this regulation, the pilot in command of an aircraft in flight

shall not permit anything to be dropped from the aircraft.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

General Conditions

(1) A jump aircraft when dropping parachutists must be operated in accordance with the APF Jump Pilot’s Handbook.

(2) A pilot in command of a jump aircraft must hold an APF Jump Pilot’s authorisation.

(3) A jump aircraft that is not a Class A aircraft must be maintained as if it were a Class B charter aircraft not in the private category and must have a current maintenance release issued in at least the charter category.

(4) Any alteration of the APF Jump Pilot’s Handbook must be notified to CASA for acceptance.

Cheers,

Frank.