Recreational Airfield for Western Sydney

darinm

Are you interested in the development of an airfield facility in the Western Sydney region for the sport and recreational aviation community? See below.

---------------------------------

Proposed Sydney Sport Aviation Assocation

A group of like minded aviation enthusiasts met at Cherrybrook on the 6th October 2010 concerned about the lack of airfield facilities within the Sydney basin. It was agreed that we should investigate the possibility of forming a new organisation with a primary goal of developing a local Sydney airfield. The airfield should have long term tenure, an appropriate buffer to other land use and facilitate the building, storage, maintenance and flying of light aircraft for recreational purposes.

We have established a web site to provide an opportunity for those of a similar mind to register their interest. A meeting will be called before the end of November 2010 to establish an association and set in place a plan designed to achieve the above mentioned goals.

If you would like to attend this meeting or support our cause, please register your interest. We need your support.

(Also see our announcement in the next AOPA magazine).

grass_strips.jpg.8f5f381eb512d903be172918b443f6c1.jpg

Guest burbles1

I had a look at that Luddenham/Kemps Creek site today. From a locked gate I could see fences going across and along part of the strip, as if it is disused. Google Maps shows the strip as an access road to the Fleurs radio telescope facility run by the University of Sydney. This is listed on the State Heritage register (http://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Website/Planning_and_Development/Stage_1_Local_Plan/DraftPenrithLEP2008-Stage1Citywide/2260832.pdf). I also noticed high-voltage powerlines near the eastern end of the strip, which would be in the flight path and a hazard if the site were converted to a usable airstrip.

Guest Maj Millard

Hi darinm, I am probabily not in a position to lend much physical support up here in Nth Qld., however I'm always ready to help out where new recreational airstrips are concerned. I'm sure Ozzie up in the Hunter would also show some support, plus it is really something the RAAus should be interested in getting behind also. Seek and ye shall find...good luck. Cheers ....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest burbles1

I'm re-reading the first post, and it could be interpreted as "we want to build hangars at an existing airfield", rather than looking for a new airfield. I'll find out more when they have their first meeting.

Hi darinm, I am probabily not in a position to lend much physical support up here in Nth Qld., however I'm always ready to help out where new recreational airstrips are concerned. I'm sure Ozzie up in the Hunter would also show some support, plus it is really something the RAAus should be interested in getting behind also. Seek and ye shall find...good luck. Cheers ....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj,

Even if your not from the local area and/or can't make our meetings, "registering your interest" is the best way you can help us now.

AOPA are already supporting us. We do hope that organisations such as RAAus will also show an interest.

Folks,

The following is a reply to a question re. Graham Onus.

Cheers,

Bill Hamilton

Graham, a retired QF Flight Engineer, owns The Oaks, and I think a concerted effort would make a joint venture of some form a distinct possibility.In my opinion, getting planning approval for a private airfield of any kind, in the Sydney basin, is so remoteas to be hardly worth pursuing, even if you can afford the land.

Ask the people at the NSW Sports Aircraft Association about all the problems they have had with just minor exapnsion, including getting caught up as the meat in the sandwich of rival factions in the local Aboriginal Land Council at Wedderburn.

The Oakes is already established, and with some of the road improvements around Narellan now complete, is now quite accessable by road.

I must agree with Bill with this. The best bet would be to get involved with existing airfields. You will have diddley squat of getting a new airfield up and running in the Sydney Basin. The developers who donate vaste amounts to the State Pollies would have you run out of town (you would simply dissapear) before the local councils, residents and greenies could even find your address to start the same treatment on you. Sorry i am not going to even register my support for any new airfield in the Sydney Basin. yeah and same to you. To sort out Sydney's airspace/airfield problem i refer you to a past post of mine, http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/general-discussion/21708-if-i-da-king.html

The only reason i go to Sydney is for work. And that is going to change as soon as i can make it happen. I spend all my free time in the Hunter Valley and that is the area i will support when it comes to protecting airfields and airspace. I do not often see what is happening during the week as far as flying goes around our neighbourhood but last week i was off crook and from what i saw actually scared me. Friday was a nice day for flying but bit limited with the cloud, possbly 5/8 scattered with bases from 2500. to 4000 ft light winds. So sitting out the back of our place in Greta watching and listening to the Dutchess from Cessnock doing some IFR and twin training, wandering around the cloud back and forth round and round and could hear a couple of trikes down near the river probably from Maitland. And yeeehaa up lob TWO pair of Hornets (very common during the week) doing mock runs into the Singleton Army Camp anywhere from 500ft to a couple of grand at speeds from 150kts to just under the boom boom. Cloud starts to lift and disperse a little and two Tiger Moths from Luskintyre decide to make an afternoon of it with some formation flying. Now toss in Elderslie's Cresco and the XL from Hope Estate and all the other coming and goings and well it's getting a bit crowded up there. Wonder how long before the poor smuck in the Dutchess drops his hood and see's he's been 'bounced' by the four Hornets. Now, on top of all that every couple of months there are four Hercs barrelling up the valley, over our house to drop a load of jumpers into Singleton. Not joking, if i had a bit of lead time to get set up i could put a golf ball straight up the open ramp as they pass over. These guys when they come up the hill are really low you can smell the kero after they pass.

So Sydney you stuck with what you haven't got and that is that. Up here in a couple of years, maybe sooner, the fight to save what we have will be in full swing. Cessnock Council only want one airport in their juristiction and it will be all top dollar revenue back to them from it. First thing on the list of dos and don'ts for property owners is "not to be used as airfield" No kidding it's no 1. So scratch that lot for help. Lots of new hanger activity going on at Maitland but it is going to be surrounded by new housing and industrial developement within 5 years. this place is so under utillised it is wide open for takeover, Rpt or freighters need to get in there. Joy flights just don't have political clout. Singleton (Wittingham) what a sorry mess that place is. All you Sydney folk should chip in and buy this place. Within a couple of years you will have the freeway from Sydney almost to the front door of your hanger here. Hopefully the army and airforce will be told to go play out in the desert. If the war in Afganistan is going to continue for another 20 years or so then no need to train soldiers to run around in the bush. no bush in afganistan. So head west and help the economy of Cobar. We got our coal$$. The Airforce boss from Willy pops up on the local news just before the airshow and crows about how much money and employment the base gives to Newcastle. Some dopey Polly stands beside him nodding his dopey head in agreement. Well lets see how much employment and income $$s Newcastle could get if the base was given the flick out of there and all that overload from Sydney, like about 50 international flights a day plus all the domestic flights that would serve the central coast went into Willy. Virgin alone probably employ more 'pit crew" than the RAAF do local civilian contractors. But hey, i could be wrong there. NOT. The dopey pollie is probably nodding his dopey head cause he was reminded what the military chiefs did a few years ago to the career of the federal defense MP when he would not give the military the toys they wanted. Who runs the country??

So Sydney pilots, the ball has been well and truely dropped when it comes to your piddly needs. Live with it or move out. Why continue to waste your life fighting developers, useless state pollies and crazy locals. Rediculus airspace restrictions ever increasing security "precautions". Sydney is just not worth the time of day for this subject.

OZZIE

Guest burbles1

... and that's why we need reasoned discussion on any development of airfields. I can see that this group wants to "develop an airfield" - which does not necessarily mean find a new one. The Oaks has potential for community sports aviation activities, and I'd like to find out how this could become feasible. Sydney flyers are in need of hangarage, and recreational aviation needs to involve itself more with the community; this group could very well achieve that. With the loss of Hoxton and now Camden due to being Class D, any initiative that helps to protect our patch is welcome.

Have a look in this month's RA magazine - letter to the editor - to see my concern for ensuring the survival of airfields.