Flying into brisbane (calling all locals)

Guest drizzt1978

Guest drizzt1978

So My fiance and myself we be flying the Jab230 up from Melbourne to Brisbane this January.

Can anyone give me a heads up on where i can store her for a few nights?

My relatives live near Redcliffe, but i am not sure if A; i am allowed there, and B if they are partial to visitors; Obviously I have to break out the maps and ERSA, but I thought i would see if any Locals Have good suggestions.

Also flying into Byron Bay, had any one been to or familliar with the small local strip not Balina.

Any gossip or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

re Michael

Or go a couple extra miles north to Caboolture (if you're game) and I'm sure you could find a grassy spot to tie down, could get you a spot if you let me know. Wouldn't be under cover though.

Are you PPL? Just have to keep a mind on all the CTA stuff in the area.

Guest drizzt1978

Thanks Tomo (if your game) ??? Was in QLD a few months ago and there was a few sly comments, maybe chain it down ;-) Dont know much, nah not a PPL, so have had a look at the Map, looks like fun!

Redcliffe is a good sealed strip and you would be welcome, but there isn't really any parking, with "no parking" painted on the ground everywhere. If DJP doesn't come up with any ideas you could phone the Redcliffe Aero Club and see if they could assist. It is a nice looking aero club.

Caboolture is only a few minutes north of there and there's certainly plenty of parking there on the grass. It doesn't take that long to drive between the two and there is a station at Caboolture (taxi or bus from near the airport to the station), but there is no station near Redcliffe.

I'm not sure about Byron but Ballina is a good strip, sealed and not too busy although it does have a bit of a traffic mix. It's nothing to be worried about though. There's a private grass strip at Palmers Island near Yamba, and Evans Head is south of Ballina.

Just keep your eye on the weather at that time of year, there can be some big storms.

The airspace isn't too bad. Coolangatta airspace is small and you can fly west of it, then fly along the beach on North Stradbroke and Moreton Islands to avoid Brisbane airspace. From there you turn in to either Redcliffe or Caboolture.

Heck Field/Jacobs Well between the Gold Coast and Brisbane is friendly, Southport is not.

Guest drizzt1978

MAZDA: Thanks so much, thats a really great answer, I was a bit intimidated by ballina! I really appreciate the detailed answer.... My old instructor said the same thing about the weather, and if you have to fly, do it in the morning! It should be a heap of fun, I am very excited. We will take 2-3 days going up and 2-3 days comeing back. (maybe 4-5 days hanging out with friends and family around brisbane) We will Try not to do more than 4 hours in one hit, and make it about the Holiday not just the Air Time, my other half likes to fly (as long as we are going somewhere!, not a fan of circuits)

Once again guys, thanks for the sense of community!

Community is something that is dieing in the streets, but is great to have technology bringing people together!

I'll second what Mazda said about Heck Field, there is no hangarage but plenty of place to tie down outside for a few days, it is pretty secure too with an on site manager. See Gold Coast Sport Flying Club Inc - South East Queensland's Premier Light Aviation Location - Heck Field JCW Jacobs Well YJCW .

I haven't flown in to Tyagarah (north of Byron) but a quick recce from the road looked very pleasant - seems to be quite an active parachuting drop zone, there was a Caravan in and out when I was there.

I drop into Tyagarah periodically & its a nice place - a drop zone, trikes & gliding mostly but I wouldn't fancy the walk into Byron from there. It is a lot closer then the, so-called Byron Gateway airport though !

Cheers

John