Looking for Airstrips with fuel near Mackay and Yeppoon

JabSP6

NEED HELP : Looking for Airstrips near Mackay and Yeppoon

NEED HELP

Hi group

I am looking at the possibilities of heading up to Mackay and also heading to Yeppoon.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the locations of any airfields that i would be able to use around these areas. I will be in my SP6 jab with an RAA licence leaving from Rolleston with 85ltrs on board so i will have plenty of fuel to get to Mackay but will require some fuel to be able to make it back to Bundaberg with plenty of reserve from either location. Any names and phone numbers of people that i could call would also be much appreciated.

Andrew

Guest Maj Millard

JabSP6.......There is a nice strip just in from the beach at Emu park (parallel with beach/grass, plenty of length) but probabily no avgas there. It is close to town and you could get mogas close by. Also van park/accomodation within walking dist. Hedlow Field to the North on the Rockhampton-Yeppoon road was a great airfield but not sure of the status there currently. They did have avgas on the bowser in the past...................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Yenn

I have been to Gladstone a few times. This could be an option.

Maj

The strip at Emu park sounds great. Do you know who owns this strip? I would like to give them a call to see if it would be Ok to drop in for a look. Might even be good for a day trip up there with the wife.

Andrew

Guest Maj Millard

No I do not know who owns it , but it has been there for a while and I have always assumed it was a council-owned public use strip. This may not be the case, and I will do some research in airport directories.

That particular stretch of the Capricorn coast is very picturesque, with Emu park with the airstrip, right in the middle, and as I mentioned earlier within easy walking distance of the beach and caravan park.

The strip by the way is grassed and could get a bit soggy after heavy rain.............Maj...