New Canon camera.

flying dog

Hey folks.

I have an EOS 300D now. 6 Meg. Not bad. But for "rapid fire" shots, it kind of is slow.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Bing Ree are selling a 14.1 Meg SLR Canon camera for $569.

I like Canon cameras and would prefere to stay with them so as to not have to learn another manufacturer's menu system/layout.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Sorry I don't have the model number, but saw it advertised in today's rag.

Anyone got one? Comments?

040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Ok, update:Canon SX30.

Alas it is not an SLR, but it looks pretty good.

No, you won't be happy if you want speed, the AF will be substantially slower than your current 300D.

Go for a 550D/60D/7D/1DmkIV depending on your budget and you won't be sorry!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey folks.I have an EOS 300D now. 6 Meg. Not bad. But for "rapid fire" shots, it kind of is slow.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Bing Ree are selling a 14.1 Meg SLR Canon camera for $569.

I like Canon cameras and would prefere to stay with them so as to not have to learn another manufacturer's menu system/layout.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Sorry I don't have the model number, but saw it advertised in today's rag.

Anyone got one? Comments?

040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

300 400 450D are genrally consumer level camerasyou pneed at least (Ithink the current one is a 60D) it sort of entry level pro, I have its predesseror, a 40D its pretty damn good.

There was 20D then 40D then 50D now 60D... its their middle of the range cameras "semi Pro"

Guest basscheffers

If you want to stay with Canon, around $750 will get you the new 500D. (body only, use your existing lenses) Entry level like your 300D, but many years newer, heaps faster and does HD video to boot.

I tend to lean the other way, unless you are intent on shooting professionally, the upper range cameras are likely to be more machinery than you'll ever need. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, spending it on better lenses is likley to give you a far better return for your dollar. The way I see it, if you're really serious about photography, by the time you get to the standard where you can honestly say that a consumer level camera is holding you back - well by then your you beaut 60D or 7D even will have been replaced by something even better, trade up then.

I have used Nikon for many years and have a D50 SLR at the moment plus a couple of old film versions which I don't use. The 18/55 lens is OK but has flare problems with backlight. The 70/300 is good. I think if I bought another SLR I would go to Canon, they seem to have the reliability that Nikon built their name on.

One big thing to think about with a digital SLR is, that every time you change lenses there is a chance of dust getting on the sensor. It doesn't matter how careful you are, it will happen. I prefer SLR's for the reason that they have good viewfinders, but if you can live with the screen type you may get just as much quality for a lot less expense.

Thanks for the replies.

Had forgotten about the thread. Ooops.

The 500D only does 3 FPS in "burst mode". The 300D does 2.4 so there is little gain there.

I am only thinking of this because when I am at air shows, or at flyins, it is annoying putting the camera in burst mode and pressing the shutter button and hearing: "click click click........." And it stops.

I have to wait while the camera shoves the data onto the card (CF) and gets ready.

ITMT, things are happening and I am not getting the piccies.

I have a NIKON "happy snap" camera (14.4 MP) and it does videos (HD) too.

Nice, but I learnt on SLR, and when I am SERIOUS about taking piccies, I would have an SLR hands down.

The "happy snap" is only so if I am going somewhere, and can't be bothered taking the SLR, but may want to take piccies, it is handy to have.

Looking at the 1000D it is confusing about the "burst mode" taking piccies, it has two numbers:

3.0 fps/514 shots max burst (JPEG)

What does that mean?

I cant take 3 FPS to a maximum of 514 shots total?

The 500D says:

3.4 fps

But then nothing else.

Guest basscheffers

With the 500D and a fast card, you can shoot a lot of images before the buffer gets full. If shooting JPEG, you may never get the buffer full. From dpreview.com: "Continuous: 3.4 fps up to 170 JPEG / 9 RAW frames"

Even with your 300D you'll get more shot in a row with a faster card.