Nav Planning

I'm a bit stuck with planning this nav, I've planned all my other navs successfully but this one is a bit tricky. I'm doing a flight down the WA coast to Serpentine (32° 23.698' South 115° 52.259' East) from Bindoon. I've planned the flight to Serpentine over the water (only 2nm out) however by procedure the return flight (heading North) must be conducted over land, no problems right? Nah, if I followed that rule I'd be transiting past 3 major inbound points for Jandakot airport at the same altitude as aircraft joining but on a converging path (aircraft flying towards me from my left) and I MUST be at 1500' transiting North and 2000' transiting South. If I don't follow the rule and go out over the water heading North I'll be flying straight into oncoming traffic. So really I have no other option but to fly over the Jandakot inbound points :S Does anyone from WA have experience with this? Or can anyone give me some ideas?

-Andrew

Andrew,

I haven't flown that particular leg heading all the way north past the city, but I'd stay just in from the coast on your way back at 1,500, and report your height and transiting intentions to Jandakot Tower on 118.1 while still south of Boatyard. That will also alert other pilots in the area who might be heading for Jandakot via Boatyard or Powerhouse or leaving via Freo Golf Course. Also call up Perth Radar on 135.25, tell them what you're doing and request traffic in your area. Lastly, keep a sharp lookout for other aircraft. The likely trouble spots will be aircraft coming in from your left at Boatyard and Powerhouse, and aircraft coming up from your right rear from Freo Golf Course. If you have a transponder, switch it on (1200).

rgmwa

Thanks for that,

Announcing on Perth Radar is something I'm going to do all the way down and back up the coast. I considered announcing on Jandakot tower while transiting past inbound/outbound points but keeping a listening watch would be more appropriate. The Jabiru isn't transponder equipped unfortunately. It's a dual nav so I'll have to see what my instructor thinks.

Thanks,

Andrew