Undercarriage springs

pudestcon

G'day,

My undercarriage springs don't seem to be the correct configuration - they are different to springs on another T500, although I have seen a similar set on a T300.

What I am chasing is a template, drawings/specifications for the correct spring configuration. I have tried to contact TOSG and Tony Hayes Systems with no luck so far.

So, is there anybody here who can help me please?

Pud

• 1 month later...

Without being able to obtain the correct spring specification, but with very valuable assistance from T500, Striker and Poll, I was able to have new springs made at West Coast Suspensions (Jenkin Springs) for less than $200 for the set.:big_grin:

Here are before and after photos, without wings attached or fuel in the tank.

Thanks guys,

Pud

976295980_Newsprings.jpg.b133b8574f2c9bca48d36f3a15d6ad5c.jpg

888752495_Oldsprings.jpg.9af282f80edf9e8e0542ed2c253218b9.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Pud, just be carefull with new gear on your first few landings, especially with newish springs. they can have a tendency to bounch and you may find your self at 10 feet with nothing on the guages but the makers name !!...Slow and steady is the go, and be ready to throw some power in and go again if you have to..............................................................Cheers Maj

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifGood one Maj, funny what cracks some people up........... or is it just me:loopy:

Pud sure is starting to sound exciting for you - well done

Cheers

Dexter

Thanks Dexter,

Yeah that Maj sure is a funny ol' geezer eh? I've been reading his posts that long now I get disappointed on the odd occasion there is nothing to smile about. Keep 'em coming Maj.

Pud

• 7 months later...
Guest FlashWayne
Without being able to obtain the correct spring specification, but with very valuable assistance from T500, Striker and Poll, I was able to have new springs made at West Coast Suspensions (Jenkin Springs) for less than $200 for the set.:big_grin:Here are before and after photos, without wings attached or fuel in the tank.

Thanks guys,

Pud

Hi Pud,

I'd like to remove my springs and have them retentioned but I think I might have to remove the wings before I can unbolt the springs. I have a TST model.

Did you have to remove the wings first?

Cheers,

Wayne

Guest FlashWayne

Anybody know the correct diameter for a 3-blade composite prop for a Thruster with a 503 Rotax with an A gearbox (2.58:1)?

At the moment I have a 2-blade wooden prop fitted.

Cheers

Hi Pud,I'd like to remove my springs and have them retentioned but I think I might have to remove the wings before I can unbolt the springs. I have a TST model.

Did you have to remove the wings first?

Cheers,

Wayne

G'day FlashWayne,

Thanks for the question. In my experience it is not necessary to remove the wings. You will probably need to remove the bolt holding the wing struts to the axle, and lift the strut end free, as one of the spring bolts is under the strut end. Once you have removed the spring you should be able to replace the strut and bolt temporarily until you refit the spring. You will need some way to securely support the aircraft whilst the landing gear springs are being sorted. All of this is made easier if you have another person helping of course. One other thing... There are 2 bolts holding the spring to the axle. One bolt is inserted from the under (spring) side and the other from the top side. This means one of the bolts will need to be removed completely whilst the other only needs the nut removed.

Cheers,

Pud

Anybody know the correct diameter for a 3-blade composite prop for a Thruster with a 503 Rotax with an A gearbox (2.58:1)?At the moment I have a 2-blade wooden prop fitted.

Cheers

Hmmm, not sure I can help you here FW, but my composite 3-blade prop is 68" in diameter attached to a 582 Rotax through a 2.58:1 reduction box. I'm not sure of the pitch though.

Pud

Guest FlashWayne
Hmmm, not sure I can help you here FW, but my composite 3-blade prop is 68" in diameter attached to a 582 Rotax through a 2.58:1 reduction box. I'm not sure of the pitch though.Pud

Thanks for your help and advice. I was trying to remove the springs by myself and I had supports(blocks) under the box frame between the springs and the fibreglass pod so the wheels were off the ground. I had supports under the wing tips to take some weight. When I loosened the strut bolt I realised there was a sleeve(bush) through the tube and I got cold feet because I wasn't sure how much pressure was on the strut. So, I put it back together. I could only see the main axle bolt connecting the wheel to the spring?

As for the prop, I can buy a ground-adjustable Ivoprop from the US for US$600 (new). They've asked me what diameter I want. I would say that if it's easily adjustable as they say, and I order a 68" dia. I can try it and adjust the pitch to suit. What do you think?

Cheers,

Wayne