J160

Ross

G'day Ross

I have just ordered a J230 that will be built in Wagga.

How is yours going and are there any others under construction in the Riverina?

Regards Geoff

Hi Geoff

The only one I know of is at Mildura being built by Tom O'Donnell. It is a J170, longer wet wings,the fuselage is mostly completed (I have not seen it). He has not purchased the wings or engine yet that I know of.

Thanks Ross

How is yours going & do you have any pics?

And can I come back to you for tips?

I've set myself a target to be flying by October. That's probably wildly optimistic, but we'll have fun finding out.

Regards Geoff

Hi Geoff

Your enquiries will be welcome. But I am no expert.

I have plenty of photos. Our J160 kitwas delivered on about 14thDec 2004 and is number 14 of the J160 series with wet wings and mechanical tappets. I had a major interruption to the work from June 2005 till March 2006 but now have no excuse aside from family & friends visiting occasionally. Geoff Waddleton from Mildura helped by sending photos of various parts.

Not having anybody to talk to about it was a major obstacle. It took me a while to make the contacts forfinding infoon handlingepoxy, filling rough areas, paint, aircraft grade bolt supplies, sandpaper grades and solving some of the problems while building the aircraft. The factory people were very helpful and will give advice on any area required. One of the troubles was the quality of the English in their construction manual whichwas better than Japanese English but did result ina number of vague instructions.

For handling the epoxy mixing I obtainedand old set of Post Office Scales, $20, without weights.I use about 50 only5/16" nuts as counter weights so that many different sizes of mixes can be done in a ratio of 3 epoxy to 1 of hardener by weight. If the mix is too large, because it is exothermic when mixed, its temperature rises rapidly giving off poisonous fumes. It also rapidy sets when the temp is raised above about 25 degrees C resulting in a loss of the batch unless it is cooled artificially say by sitting the mix on a cold pack. I have found it easier to simply use smaller mixes. Jabiru said that the setting process, if interrupted by low temps about 15 degrees C I think, will continue once the temp rises again. Because it is a chemical reaction it is important that the epoxy and hardener be mixed in the correct ratio accurately.Thisinterrupted setting is typically the case if abatch is mixed and used late in the

afternoon followed by a rapidly cooling evening. It does need some hours at the right temp to set to full strength, maybe 12 hours. Of course this can be helped by raising the temp with say fan heaters.Wagga is a bit colder than Leeton.

The fuelage is half painted with a high fill paint to fill the pin holes,the bare fibreglass areas and the joins which I have alreadyfilled with a microball epoxy. The microball epoxy was not used structurally only as a filler.It is fairly easy to work. I initially, after setting,use a paint scraper with a carbide blade on the filler then a rectangular random sander.

The firewall is fitted after I made a wooden folder to fold it in two places. The engine mounts are painted and fitted. The engine has been mounted a couple of times and a quick release G type clamp modified to facilitate compressing the engine mount rubbers while doing up the mounting bolts.

I purchased a manual hydraulic"engine crane and engine stand" to facilitate handling the aircraft fuselage and the engine. I got a sling made to lift the

fuselage. I made an adapter plate for the separate engine stand so that the engine can be mounted on it using the engine mounting holes and simple clips ( narrow three point linkage typeclips) to secure the engine on the stand. The stand has been modified so that I can rotate and lock the engine in 90 degree steps around its longitudinal axis.

Gotta go. More later if you want it.

Regards Ross

Thanks for that Ross

Once I get started I'll see if it might be mutually benificial for us to get together for a chat.

And if you are ever over this way, let me know. I have a place on the Olympic Hwy about 10 kms SW of town.

Regards Geoff

Guest sypkens
G'day Ross I have just ordered a J230 that will be built in Wagga.

How is yours going and are there any others under construction in the Riverina?

Regards Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I am also very interested in the j230 but at current pace quite far removed from my financial director approval (something to do with a baby on the way apparently).

I am interested though in the experience and how you find the plane and building process. So following on from Ian's request please keep us informed.

Regards,

Jan

• 8 months later...

Build times

I realise that this is a very difficult question, and dependant on a huge amount of factors, but,............ does the Jabiru stated 600 hrs build time seem about right ?

I am considering building a j-170 but have all the normal conflicts to hurdle first.

Also has anyone seen the video 'Building a J-160' and be able to tell me if it is worthwhile to buy and watch.

Thanks

maxamos

there is a Jabiru 6 Clyinder at Tooradin that the owner claims took him around 250 hours to build (and $10,000 in beer).

I can put you in touch with him if you wish.

Mine took less than 500 prior to painting and it's the 4 seater which you have no doubt seen down there.

When will you be down there next, we can discuss further?

Brent,

Pretty sure I have met you before, at some of the Tooradin social nights.

Not too sure when I will be down there next, and I don't get there much on the weekends, as I only get every 2nd weekend off so I spend most of it with the family. Mostly I go flying during the week; it's also a bit quieter then.

250 hours sounds pretty incredible, and 500 more what I would expect. I would have thought that a lot of people would take longer than the Jabiru stated 600 hrs ??

Just trying to get a feel at the moment as I debate what aircraft would suit me best. I am not ready to buy anything at the moment, but just fact hunting.

Regards Kirk

The 600 hour estimate comes from double what it takes in the factory to build theirs, however they use lots of templates, moulds and jigs to get things done quickly so the home builder should definitely take longer. I laugh when I hear people that have been to the factory with the 'factory assist' program telling me how they built their aircraft in 4 weeks - "yeah sure thing" I say to them.

The guy with the 250 hour build time did a standard build with standard instruments and upholstery and he is a builder (carpenter / home builder) by trade so this no doubt would have helped a lot. Probably around 50 hours has been spent fiddling, fixing and tweaking after completion to get it right.

Mine was bigger and required more paint work, upholstery and doors etc, so I'm not surprised I was close to 500, plus it was a disjointed effort with only working on weekends for a lot of the time.

I had no mechanical background and threw mine together without too much difficulty, however as I've heard other people say, it's more about project management than brute force.

Guest AusDarren
has anyone seen the video 'Building a J-160' and be able to tell me if it is worthwhile to buy and watch. Thanks

I have a copy. (by Teckair ) and yes it is worth watching. Quite interesting, a series of snapshots during construction..

and if your considering spending the $$ for the kit, you need to be pretty sure of your ground first ;).

I ordered it from their website. http://www.teckair.com.au arrived pretty quickly.

Regards,

AusDarren