Leading edge spar

pudestcon

I need help guys,

My T500 Thruster has a suspect leading edge spar that I want to replace. It is made from 6061 T6 aluminium tube, needs to be 4730mm long x 21/2"od x 1/16" thick. Sorry for the mix of metric/imperial sizes:big_grin:

So far I have drawn a blank on sourcing a new one, and I hope you people can help me out here on where I might be able to get hold of a length.

Cheers,

Pud

hi Pud..sorry..can't help with the sourcing of a new spar...but...why do you call the existing spar "suspect"??

Well I wondered who would be the 1st forumite flushed out with a term like "suspect":big_grin:

Well cficare, it gets down to whether I want to fly with a join in the leading edge spar - or not. The L2 I am dealing with assures me that the structural integrity is maintained with the repair that has been done on this spar, including the use of a sleeved insert to strengthen the joint.

The thing is, it will be my neck on the line for what I hope will be many hours of flight time, so it is a decision for me to make. I'm not experienced enough to make a judgement call on the structural integrity of the aluminium spar (my many years of experience in the building industry tells me it is not as strong as the original though) but for peace of mind I reckon I should replace it.

That's exactly what I am going to do when I find a supplier - drawing blanks at the moment:sad:

Pud

Hi Pud,

The manual for one of my trike lists "Light Spars Australia" as the source for aluminium spars in the wing. I just Googled it and surprisingly they still seem to be there. In Moorabin, Vic.

Cheers,

Glen

If Wade Mahlo is still around in Orange, he had meters of the stuff for the Vision, though I am not sure if it was more leading edge material, or fuselage boom diameter.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest clamar floats

Hi Pud,

If you can't source one here, I've a container heading from Florida (USA) to Victoria in about 7 weeks time, your welcome to just pay for your bit and throw it in, however how you get it from Vic to WA is another issue for you.

Regards

Clamar Floats

I need help guys,My T500 Thruster has a suspect leading edge spar that I want to replace. It is made from 6061 T6 aluminium tube, needs to be 4730mm long x 21/2"od x 1/16" thick. Sorry for the mix of metric/imperial sizes:big_grin:

So far I have drawn a blank on sourcing a new one, and I hope you people can help me out here on where I might be able to get hold of a length.

Cheers,

Pud

Thanks everyone,

I have sourced a spar from Wade Mahlo and it should arrive here in WA on Wednesday. Wade is good to deal with and the spar cost $290 and $150 freight - but ya pay what ya gotta pay!!!

Wayne Fisher did some wing skins and numbers for me so everything is coming together. I reckon we'll go close to having the wings on this weekend.

Cheers,

Pud