Lecomber's Spin

djpacro

By the way djparco, I recently bought a copy of Gene Beggs' "Spinning the Pitts". Really nicely written and easy to read. Should come free with a Pitts checkout... well maybe not but a worthwhile addition to the collection.

One question, my Pitts has a very high rotation rate in an inverted Spin. It recovers very easily... Not sure why.... could it be;

Forward C of G? (don't think so)

Larger Ailerons? (maybe if the pilot made an inadvertent input)

Control rigging? (I downloaded a copy of the S1S type certificate and measured the elevator and rudder deflections... spot on)

Arms too short and coming back with the stick a bit? (possibly, I was observing from the ground and the guy flying is pretty short)

Any other factors that increase rotation rate in an inverted spin?

Yes, check out my website and see the photos. The rudder is larger than stock, I guess that would make it spin faster with a larger rudder holding it in the spin.

The pilot claimed that he did not do anything different from inverted spinning any other Pitts but it was a significantly faster rotation. Can't give an objective rate of turn but from my observation from the ground it did seem a lot faster than other Pitts I've observed inverted spinning in comps. It also seemed to wind up faster i.e. there wasn't much of an incipient phase.

I should've mentioned wing rigging too as a factor. I've seen something like that before with an S-2B.

Perhaps you'll get more definitive info from the Pitts forum from some-one who has made these sort of changes himself.