Council sees the light!

Cairns Post Thu 20/1/11

Council Bid To Cash In On Country Airfields

Three airfields on the Cassowary Coast will go under the spotlight to see how they can get a bigger slice of the aviation pie.

Cassowary Council has commissioned a study on the Mundoo (Innisfail and my home airfield), Tully and Dallachy airfields, looking at how they can be improved and, play a biger role in the future...

Mayor Bill Shannon said it was critical to start planning for the future...:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Ha ha no I checked too! Actually this has been on the cards for awhile...The previous council was ready to sell Mundoo before the Council was sacked by Brisbane (Sacked not un-elected) I had the opportunity to speak to Bill Shannon, and he is very pro-aviation, and likes the idea of Rec flyers up here...he and council actually see aviation activities in their towns as assets that must be protected and encouraged!

Guest JRMobile
I think we should try and convince him and his council to run for government and go head to head with julia gillard.... good to see theres another of the very few pro-aviation councils around.. I guess some may be starting to see just how good its been for wagga, temora, etc..ive also wondered where it is... the only picture i can find though is http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6014753&nseq=1

found it on google maps i think http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-17.932274,145.938649

and dallachy appears to be here.. http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=-18.178922,145.949721

(Hope these links work right)

Links work well - thanks including.

Maddogmorgan, This is good news for Innisfail. I completed my pilots certificate with Ron a couple of years ago and I'm sure there would be many other people from the Cairns region who would be willing to travel to Innisfail to fly if it was promoted, encouraged and if a suitable aircraft could be made available for hire. I'm now in Temora where I hire our club's Tecnam for a reasonable rate and it is much easier to fly distances or to different locations.

Cheers, Mathew

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Windsor, Sort of behind the roadhouse, which I think you mean is the large servo at the lights (turnoff to downtown Tully). Actually you go North a bit more and you'll see the sign to the airport, off on the right. Real nice little airport, very popular with the Skydiving set.

Not as picturesque as it once was, since they planted large tranmission towers along the nearby hill !!.but still a geat little spot to visit.............................Maj...