New South Wales

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - SYDNEY/NEWCASTLE/WOLLONGONG REGION

for LARGE HAILSTONES, DAMAGING WIND, VERY HEAVY RAINFALL and FLASH FLOODING

For people in parts of the

Greater Wollongong,

Blue Mountains/Hawkesbury and

Wollondilly/Wingecarribee areas.

Issued at 12:59 PM Wednesday, 28 February 2007.

At 12:55 PM , Bureau of Meteorology weather radar detected severe thunderstorms near Fitzroy Falls, Blackheath and the Mount Tomah Botanic Gardens. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to southeast. Severe thunderstorms are forecast to affect the Grose Valley in the Blue Mountains by 1:25 PM and Springwood, Blackheath, Hazelbrook, Katoomba, Bilpin and Jamberoo by 1:55 PM .

Large hailstones, damaging winds, very heavy rainfall and flash flooding are possible.

A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Central West Plains, Central West Slopes, Illawarra, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, ACT and parts of the Metropolitan Forecast Districts.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:

* Move your car under cover or away from trees.

* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.

* Keep clear of fallen power lines.

* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.

* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.

* Unplug computers and appliances.

* Avoid using the phone during the storm.

* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.

* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 1:55 PM.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at http://www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.

Guest Fred Bear

Heaps of lightning around. Lots of cloud to ground strikes and listening to the fireys and ambos this afternoon, quite a few people struck too.

Just about to hit here, bit of thunder, and good rain... but looks like the cell is splitting,and will go either side of my place.... again... even so, i love this kind of weather!

though i find it hard to believe in this world, a few lightning strikes can stop sydneys train network, i was in Hong Kong a few years ago in a typhoon, not 1 train was late or service cancelled, and if the trains are 5 mins late, there is an inquiry...

Guest Fred Bear

Would not doubt it ultralights. Here is a pic from yesterdays storm which I took around Elizabeth Drive as it was happening. Only from my phone so the quality is not spectacular.

cant believe i got a phone call from my real estate agent saying the tennants in my house in Campbelltown are complaining of water flooding the garage to about an inch deep............really..... i told the agent to tell them to consider themselves lucky..

Guest Fred Bear

Another warning in place just now. Looks real black just SE of here. Lightning about again. Some fog forecast again for tomorrow am. Looks like a few more days worth of this stuff.

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology

New South Wales

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - SYDNEY/NEWCASTLE/WOLLONGONG REGION

for LARGE HAILSTONES, DAMAGING WIND, VERY HEAVY RAINFALL and FLASH FLOODING

For people in parts of the

Sydney Metropolitan area.

Issued at 5:48 PM Thursday, 1 March 2007.

At 5:50 PM , Bureau of Meteorology weather radar detected severe thunderstorms near Campbelltown and Minto. These thunderstorms are slow moving. Severe thunderstorms are forecast to affect Campbelltown, Liverpool and Oran Park by 6:50 PM .

Large hailstones, damaging winds, very heavy rainfall and flash flooding are possible.

A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Northwest Plains, Northwest Slopes, South Coast, Mid North Coast, Hunter, Metropolitan and parts of the Central West Plains, Central West Slopes, Illawarra, Northern Tablelands, Upper Western, Central Tablelands and Southern Tablelands Forecast Districts.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:

* Move your car under cover or away from trees.

* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.

* Keep clear of fallen power lines.

* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.

* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.

* Unplug computers and appliances.

* Avoid using the phone during the storm.

* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.

* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 6:50 PM.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at http://www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.

Guest Fred Bear

And a pic from yesterdays from Sydney (again via camera phone). Got 19mm of rain out of this one in Western Sydney. Not much considering it was hammering down but better than nothing!