Cygnet SF-2A anyone?

Guest CptKelly

Guest CptKelly

Since my Smith Kit is completed, I am hankering to build again. Perhaps a Light Sport like a Cygnet. Has anybody out there ever seen that cute little Cygnet? I'd use a Jabiru engine instead of the VW, however.

Comments?

Mike

There's a bloke here just finished building one, it's one of the best jobs I've seen done on a home built.

The Cygnet as a design is a bit dated these days, the bloke I know started it about 15 years ago and there wasn't much available then.

There is limited cabin space, it's only good for smaller folk. I'm going to test fly it for him and I'm 6'2.5" and I'm a bit cramped. I have to take the cushions out of the seat to fit in.

One of the Wagaero designs would be a more practicle design, maybe the Wagabond with a Jab or Rotax would make a good lightweight machine?

Guest CptKelly

Cygnet....

A good aircraft design rarely gets dated, take the J3, Taylorcraft, and Champ for example. True, the Cygnet is pretty unusual, and tedious to build with the numerous wood pieces. However, it is light, very responsive in the air, and fast for its power. As far as cabin size goes, I'm going to enlarge mine. Dated? Nah, just different... but so is the Kitfox, Just Highlander, Hummelbird, etc. etc.....

Mike

• 11 years later...

I see this is a 2007 entry what is your progress report?

I am currently going for a US LSP ticket in a historic Lindy Award winning Cygnet Built in Canada by Zig Berzins. Superb craftsmanship, routine engine operations excellent control harmony and rugged landing gear make this a excellent fun flyer to learn in.

2276VW with dual ignition,electric start and a revflo carb work well but about 40lbs heavier than I like. The Jab2200 or a 912 rotax would also be excellent choices if building new.

REF

nx237f - YouTube

Matt