Latrobe Valley to Brisbane

I am looking at buying a plane in Victoria & have to get it back to Queensland, Any suggestions on the route to get back & what airfeild in each leg that I might be able to pick up fuel,food & accomadation would be appetiated.

Pete

Guest davidh10

Eastmeg could tell you how to get from Gippsland to Yarrawonga.

Peter at Yarrawonga flight training could tell you how to get to Newcastle, as he flies new aircraft back from there.

That's a start.

Eastmeg could tell you how to get from Gippsland to Yarrawonga.Peter at Yarrawonga flight training could tell you how to get to Newcastle, as he flies new aircraft back from there.

That's a start.

Hi David,

Actually I've never flown in Gippsland. Alf does and can give tips on getting from Gippsland to Mt Beauty and Yarrawonga, from there, there are plenty of places to stop in western NSW going north to QLD. With all the control zones up the east coast I'd recommend the inland route unless you're GA and fluent on your CTA.

You could fly around the coast to Moruya if you can get through Sale airspace, then go inland to Goulburn - Cowra/Forbes/Parkes/Narromine etc . . .

Cheers,

Glen

Sydney is not thee main problem. There is Victor-1 VFR route if you don't mind flying just 500ft above water 2km out to sea, or there is the western Sydney VFR route which I would consider safer. I have been through the western Sydney VFR route, playing "Map Boy" for a friend in his Cessna-172. With the amount of traffic going through there I would strongly recommend having a transponder, strobe and a Collision Avoidance System.

More difficult to get around further north on the coast will be Williamtown and Coffs Harbour. Apparently the inland route around Coolangatta isn't too arduous.

• 3 weeks later...

For me I would head inland. Less weather, traffic, terrain, but plenty of places to land and get fuel. The only potential problematic part of the journey, would be the Great Dividing Range at the start between LTV and Albury, and at the end around the gap. Just my thoughts, but I would go Latrobe, Albury, West Wyalong, Narrabri, Gundy, then Brisvegas. But as for scenery, definitley can't go past the coast!!

Guest davidh10
...Just my thoughts, but I would go Latrobe, Albury, West Wyalong, Narrabri, Gundy, then Brisvegas. ..

Note that Albury is a towered aerodrome. RaAus pilots can fly in and out when the tower is closed and the airspace reverts to "G Class". Typically before 09:00, but check with Albury first to be sure. An alternate to Albury is Yarrawonga.

I am looking at buying a plane in Victoria & have to get it back to Queensland, Any suggestions on the route to get back & what airfeild in each leg that I might be able to pick up fuel,food & accomadation would be appetiated.Pete

Hi Pete

You haven't indicated what sort of aeroplane you are considering but I would generally counsel against taking the scenic coastal route, at least until you are confident in your purchase, for several reasons, including:

• less options for fuel or forced landing

• less stable weather

• more CTR issues to be navigated

When I purchased my Auster I flew it to Victoria from Watts Bridge and stuck to an inland route. That big north-south rain shield we call the Great Divide funnels a lot of weather down its south-eastern slopes at this time of year and the season has already begun to turn down here.

If you are flying out of the Melbourne area, I suggest you refer to the Melbourne VFR Guide and look at taking the inland VFR route out of the Yarra Valley - say YMMB-YCEM-SGSV-KMG-YLCS (beware the Puckapunyal restricted areas R350-352) and then stop at YYWG for fuel, food and a pee.

From Yarrawonga go straight through to YTEM and take a break before heading onto YNRM. I managed to rent a hangar space overnight at Narromine from the guy at Airborne Avionics on the aerodrome and I stayed in the on-field accommodation (cabins) run by the gliding club. Also had a great night at the aero club there... very hospitable and some grand characters.

From Narromine I'd head to YNBR-YMOR-YGDI and refuel at Goondiwindi, then YWCK-YGAS.... from there you can take your choice but watch out for Amberley MIL CTR.

Wish you the best of luck with your purchase and a safe trip

kaz

I share a hangar with a couple of Kitfoxes which are pretty similar and they seem very popular with their owners. I like the folding wings (they pay half the rental I do) and the STOL characteristics , I'm just not very keen on 2-strokes especially for touring purposes.

How well equipped is the aeroplane?

kaz