Requirements For Glider Towing Endorsement

Hi,

I've been informed by Narrogin Gliding Club that the J230 that was previously owned by Hilmer has been sold to a man named Humphrey. Humphrey has told me that in order to fly an RA-Aus registered glider tug you must also hold a PPL. While in the GFA Aerotow Ops manual it says nothing about RA-Aus aicraft towing gliders it just refers to you having to hold a PPL to be issued with the endorsement. Does anyone know what the requirements for RA-Aus pilots are? I would've thought it'd be a matter of just getting the endorsement, not having to hold a PPL as well. The RA-Aus ops manual says nothing about that being a requirement.

Regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I don't know exactly about this subject and the requirements; so I'd say start with printing the RAA glider tow application form, it lists the tick off checks (there is no mention of PPL in that and then print out the section, (3.04), in the Ops manual and it refers to the procedures [both on RAA web site].

Then get a copy of the Gliding federation Australia re areo tow. It will give you the signals between the glider pilot and the tug pilot, the emergancy procedures etc. [May be on the GFA site, if not PM your email and I'll scan you a copy from my GFA book.]

Cheers and happy researching the topic. As I said i'm not an authority on the subject so don't know anything re the PPL bit.

Hi Andrew

This is my refresh notes for aerotow. May be of assistance.

It ensures that complancy does not give me a hard kick of lesson if I was to forget something as I mainily winch launch.

Cheers

Mike

Aero Tow Blanik airspeed - max Aero Tow = 76 kts

Emergency signals. (From Tug)

“Wave off” Definite roll of aircraft - Release immediately.

‘Rudder waggle’ Check that airbrake is not open.

Glider can not release tow rope. Fly glider out to the left side of tug and hold in this position. The tug pilot will feel the tug’s tail being pulled around. Next the tug pilot will give a wave to acknowledge the glider pilots predicament. Upon seeing the tug pilots wave return glider to the normal low tow position behind the tug. The tug pilot will then release the rope.

Double rope release failure. If a double rope release failure occurs the tug will commence a gentle decent. Sufficient airbrake is used to keep the tow rope tight and the glider is kept in the low tow position. During the landing roll the glider brakes the tug as well.

Kingaroy – After separation fly glider towards ground level do not remain in high tow position. Caboolture - At start be just above tail fin of tug, at about 300 ft AGL lower to low tow position; just below turbulence). Use a reference point on tug eg: mirror position and tail stabiliser. All releases glider turns to Right. Scan / lookout first to left, (any aircraft in tugs direction of turn?) then lookout to right and then release. Turn Right.

Two external signallers are used for aero tow launches. One at the wing tip of the glider and the other positioned forward and to the side of the tug. The wing tip gives the signals and the forward person relays the signals.

Think of the combination as a whole. Tow rope length 55 meters.

Talk to the tug pilot about speed – minimum and maximum towing speed.

Hey

Thanks for the reply, I understand what steps to take to obtain the endorsement however I just wanna know whether or not I'm eligible since the aerotow manual doesn't say anything about an RA-Aus certificate.

-Andrew

Guest rocketdriver

I think this is the way it works ....

I believe you would be eligable for training for the endorsement. If you are to fly an RAA a/c to do the towing, you need an RAA licence to fly the aircraft. Then at their discretion, the gliding club will train you and when they sign you off, you can put the paperwork in to the RAA for the endorsement. .... Then you can go towing .... You will certainly know how to land after a few months at it! (not saying you don't Know now, but 4 hours a day of 6 tows an hour .....)

Regards

RD

Hey RD,

Thanks for your reply, I thought that's how it worked as well. It kinda defeats the purpose of RA-Aus aircraft towing if you have to have a PPL as well. I've sent an email to a guy at the GFA so I'll see.

Also blueadventures thanks for updating your post, very useful! I've attained solo standard in gliders which is suffecient enough to cover the "glider familiarisation part" and I've practiced 500' cable breaks, wave offs (wing waggle) and tail waggle (tail shakes) so I think that's all the GFA wants.

-Andrew

Back in my GFA days, I remember that to be a tug pilot, you also had to have a certain number of hours as a glider pilot (at least solo I think).

This may have changed over the years, but still sounds like a good policy.

I do remember being towed by a pilot that did some pretty wild things that scared the $#!t out of me !!!

Arthur.

Guest Crezzi

I suspect that the RAAus glider towing endorsement would mostly be for the pilots of the Dragonflies used to launch hang-gliders.

Cheers

John

Hi,

I've been in contact with Mick Pool and he's told me that it's a very grey area for the RA-Aus towing endorsement. Yes the endorsement is used by Dragonfly pilots towing hang gliders but it's also required to tow GFA registered gliders. Mick has told me that the best way to do the training is to do the GA towing endorsement in a VH registered aircraft and then send through the proof of endorsement and RA-Aus will issue my towing endorsement on my certificate. I don't know what the conditions of training in VH aircraft are, I'll have a GFPT soon so that should be sufficient to do the dual training although I don't think you can do solo glider towing on a GFPT since the GFA aerotow manual says you need a PPL for the issue. I'm sure they will still sign me off for the endorsement saying I've done the training even though I don't hold a PPL given my circumstances conerting it to RA-Aus.

-Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew

Have you looked at the 'Sportaviation' at Tocumwal web site. They do areo tow with a tail drag EuroFox K2. View their fleet details on the site. Should be able to assit you. It's 24- rego so RAA.

Cheers

Mike