CASA VFR kit ...

Guest David C

Guest David C

I received this email yesterday ... Seems like a good package to me ...

Dear industry colleague,

'Plans are nothing - planning is everything'

Safety Promotion as part of its range of aviation safety information materials has just released a Flight Planning kit.

The Flight Planning Kit is designed to assist low-hour VFR pilots with good flight planning habits. Includes a handbook outlining eight stages of a flight; kneeboard; flight planning notepad; personal minimums card; time in your tanks card; durable A3-sized manoeuvring maps of Archerfield, Bankstown, Camden, Jandakot, Moorabbin and Parafield; and more.

The Flight Planning Kit is available to industry via the CASA online storewww.casa.gov.au/onlinestore

Kind regards,

Safety Promotion

CIVIL AVIATION SAFETY AUTHORITY

PO Box 2005, Canberra ACT 2601

p: 131 757

e:[email protected]

w:www.casa.gov.au

I've ordered mine today ..

Dave C

Guest davidh10

I was given one by my CFI on Monday.

Content looks interesting, but have not had time to read it all yet. The physical package is about 2.5cm thick and A5 sized. Among other things, it contains a basic knee board with WAC / VNC / VTC scales on it and waterproof Visual Pilot Guides for Archerfield, Moorabbin, Parafield, etc., personal minimums check list, fuel planning pad and pocket reference to the 3 June, 2010 changes. There's a 26 page booklet on the 8 phases of flight planning and other stuff.

Anything that encourages better flight planning has to be a good thing. I've seen and heard of situations where pilots have flown without checking weather or NOTAMS and even one case where I was told that an aircraft departed with insufficient fuel to reach the intended destination and then had to make an unplanned landing and have fuel ferried to him! I suspect from, anecdotal evidence, there's also quite a few pilots who fly using outdated maps and ERSA.

The kit is one way CASA is trying to address the finding that most incidents stem from inadequate or faulty flight planning.

I ordered mine within minutes of receiving the email. Cost of postage only - seems a bargain for something like this. Way to go, CASA! Let's see more of this.

It seems theres a whole bunch of free stuff you can get from CASA if you're willing to pay the $15 flat postage fee. Why not pick up some of the other publications at the same time and only pay the postage once?

It seems theres a whole bunch of free stuff you can get from CASA if you're willing to pay the $15 flat postage fee. Why not pick up some of the other publications at the same time and only pay the postage once?

Heh-heh, I already did that a month or so back and am still busy going through the material. This time I only wanted this kit, but I checked on the other stuff while there and ordered the pilot's maintenance guide too (just about the only useful thing left I didn't yet have).

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my kit in the mail the other day. Quite happy with it. It has some decent material too: larger maps of the major aerodrome layouts and a simple kneeboard. Good booklet with useful info on flight planning too.

Well worth the cost of postage.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SAJabiruflyer

I ordered every single thing that is available on the CASA site for free, and it all got delivered last week. time for some Easter reading!

Guest SAJabiruflyer

It's great isnt it, a lot of stuff for free really. Well I guess we pay for it in our taxes, nothing is really free. I like the kneeboard - pretty good considering what they normally cost! Anyway I was like a pig in mud when the box came, and now it's sitting in my Airplane room (where I keep all my maps, magazines, flight sim computer and assorted geek stuff) waiting to be devoured!

Guest SAJabiruflyer

It is good, there is even a bed in there if I stay up too late and get in trouble with She Who Must Be Obeyed