whereto next?

so I now have my RA cert and 27 hours under my belt. I'm learning to navigate the 25nm around my training airfield with the remaining solo hours I need for the PAX endorsement. The NAV endorsement is a bit harder to get because my CFI isn't always around (I got most of my training from the SI).

the goal is eventually CPL, but that's a very very very very eventually - I am in no hurry to get my CPL.

how do I improve my flying? where should I go next?

Awesome Mate!

One thing that really helped my flying, I reckon, was flying other types of aircraft... you may not be so fortunate to have to many options, but I travelled around the place, and am signed off on nearly every school in the area! The benefit of that also, was I have flown with many CFI's, each one being a little different from the other, you pick up things that you mayen't have seen/thought of before.

Gliding is also a really good way to "get to know how to fly properly" and it teaches you how to operate the aircraft at it's optimum, in my opinion.

I'm not really sure where you fly, and what aircraft... but If you aren't just flying for the sake of 'getting all the endorsements and that's it', then trying on different aircraft, even at different schools is a pretty good way to expand the skill/knowledge base.

As for X-country, that's when the fun really starts to happen! It's pretty satisfying to 'go somewhere', try and do that ASAP if you can I reckon, as I know some people that get bawked by it, when it really isn't any harder, than learning to fly itself! :thumb_up: I know in your case it's not a matter of that, but just thought I'd mention it.

Just a few thoughts from my little brain :big_grin:

Guest Maj Millard

Tomo is a good example of a pilot advancing quickly in the sport, and what he has done works well. He has got out there, grabbed it by the horns, pushed his limits, and come out well on top. Simply put what you need to do now is fly, as well, and as often as your budget allows.

There is no substitute for hands-on experience in this game. As you gain more experience, your skill level and confidence will increase expodentially ................................................................................Maj....

so. today I realised why I want to get my CPL:

I want to teach NAV. teaching NAV in the RA world requires that you be a CFI.

I've taught a bit in my day job and I've realised that i simply cannot teach procedural skills. I have too much of an urge to take the reins myself.