Best way to practice nav logging

Mental maths isn't my sort of thing, I feel much more confident using the wheel. Cfi has a point if you're 3 minutes late on your leg from A to B then you could assume you're gonna be 3 minutes late arriving at point C from B. So you could revise your estimate from 53 to 56? No need to recalculate GS/use ruler/wheel all that stuff. For some reason my instructor loves recalculating in flight 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

-Andrew

I've attached the nav log that I've been working at today. Let me know what you think, thanks to Darky, Ignition and Airservices for the ideas. The document is designed to be printed on A5 paper (perfect for most ASA & CASA kneeboards). So if you've ordered yourself a CASA kneeboard and you hate folding your logs, this is the go.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y89NNIC2

-Andrew

I suggest putting your fuel calcs on the back so you can do them properly. And perhaps them using the space on the front you have used for fuel for a table of frequencies or something similar.

There isn't enough space there for proper fuel calcs (unless you're only going to one destination - which makes that large table of planning boxes fairly superfluous)

My log (just in case anyone's interested - looks slightly odd after the conversion from Doc to PDF but the main idea is there) - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FKVLJC4K

Andrew ,the fuel endurance area will not allow the correct endurance to be calculated and result in the pilot believing s/he has more endurance than actually available.

I don't understand... I've always done fuel calculations as a total flight, not split into different legs. The Jabiru inflight is hard to tell what fuel you have anyway. Do you mean I should have a total fuel required and total fuel available section? The fuel table is the same as the table CASA released with their VFR flight planning package. Maybe I should just copy the ASA fuel calculation table and put it on a separate page and print it double sided? (As Darky said)

-Andrew

Yes it kind of made sense to me apart from the part where you said something about measuring the tail... Does that mean measure from the 06 pinpoint back to your 45 pinpoint with the protractor?

-Andrew

So the 180 marking on the protractor is facing your previous fix and just remeasure your heading to correct destination? I hope I'm following....

-Andrew

Why on Earth do they teach such a complicated method when I can slap a protractor on the map and work it out in about 15 seconds?

-Andrew

the megaupload site is a mongel.........do u rrally need to use it???????

I will try. It seems like there is a file upload button in the reply selection. This is a map of Haberfield rowers - you can try a forced landing on the city west link alongside or get a floaty plane.

Col

958388804_RowersClub.jpg.ce4f08d66b449115d915cba5f0a29d47.jpg