SST, worth it?

Hi, for those who have done the conversion to the SST, was it money well spent? I have the streak III and I'm thinking of doing the upgrade, should I bother? Mine currently has around 520hrs on it so is not due for replacement for a while but is it worth shelling out the extra money for the SST'? Some, I have heard are not happy with the new wing. I've even heard of at least one example of someone switching back to the streak III. I have flown the SST on 3 occasions for a total of 3 hrs. I've found it heavy in roll but quite stable maybe a little more so than the streak. I think I'd be happy with it. Having said that I like the streak too.

Guest Crezzi

The SST definitely has better penetration the the S3 but this does come at the price of heavier roll control. As with most things in aviation you don't get something for nothing !

Another factor to consider is that, unless your trike was built after the SST was launched, you would also need to change the monopole to fit the SST wing which weighs significantly more (58kg vs 50kg for S3 IIRC).

Hope that helps

John

Guest davidh10

I like the SST, but like you, Bluey, my aircraft has the S3. I dare say I'll upgrade some time, but I'm not in a hurry at present. I concur with Crezzi. The latest SST wings have been tuned slightly differently so they aren't quite as heavy in roll, but it is still quite a different flying characteristic to the S3 and it is still heavier in roll.

The school aircraft are all SST and I was flying one of them again today. During my training I was moved around between two different S3 aircraft and an SST, just so I didn't get used to the characteristics of one aircraft.

Copped a bit of wake turbulence from a Tomahawk ahead of me on final, today. Encountered a dust devil on late final last week. The SST does handle these sorts of things better than the S3 although I've encountered a dust devil in the S3 too and I wouldn't say it was a lot worse.

I one inadvertently flew through the SST's wake turbulence in the S3, far enough back I didn't think it would be an issue, but it was quite severe. Certainly brought priority one into sharp focus for a few seconds 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

On the other hand a while back while flying my S3 (as wingman) in echelon formation with my CFI(as lead) in an SST, another trike flew across our path ahead, but at the same level. As we passed through the wake, the wings stalled momentarily. I don't think it was any worse in the S3 than the SST and it didn't require us to break formation. At that distance you can see every bump the other aircraft hits and know it will hit you a split second later.

The SST is definitely more slippery. It will cruise at 70 knots with ease, while my S3 requires about one finger of back pressure to cruise at 60 knots. 70 with the S3 is going to make your arms tired after not too long.

So that's the sum of my subjective comparative experiences.

Hi, for those who have done the conversion to the SST, was it money well spent? I have the streak III and I'm thinking of doing the upgrade, should I bother? Mine currently has around 520hrs on it so is not due for replacement for a while but is it worth shelling out the extra money for the SST'? Some, I have heard are not happy with the new wing. I've even heard of at least one example of someone switching back to the streak III. I have flown the SST on 3 occasions for a total of 3 hrs. I've found it heavy in roll but quite stable maybe a little more so than the streak. I think I'd be happy with it. Having said that I like the streak too.

Bluey,

I did the changeover from the ST3 to the SST April 2010, was it worth it??? yes and no.

Things i like with the SST.

1/ Handles turbulence much better.

2/ I like the stiffer roll.

3/ No wire slap when the wing unloads in turbulence.

4/ Much easier to travel faster with far less bar pressure.

5/ Slightly better glide than the ST3 being clean

6/ Feels lighter in pitch.

7/ Fits into smaller height hangers (not that it concerns me)

8/ Climbs better (thats only my opinion)

9/ Flys nice & straight 1 hole back from front hole (60-62kts hands off)

Things I don't like

1/ Side slips (Dutch Rolls) way to easy especially if your trying S turns.

2/ Horrible sensation when doing N01 above. (airspeed indicator reading zero for a long few seconds while your flying semi sideways in a slight nose up attitude)

3/ Does not do 70kts hands off in front hole in trim (65-67 Max) like airborne claim it does.

4/ When in front hole sits slighty right wing down (don't feel right)

5/ 14 odd grand for little airspeed gain (wing, mast, freight & insurance) + instructors cut which I didn't mind paying as he put it together.

6/ Scares the crap out of you when doing No1 (for the first and second time you do it)

7/ Don't plan on doing N01 a third time (as it can do it not only in S turns)

So there you go that's only my opinion your the only one that can decide.

Cheers

Alf

I'm not sure if I will bother as the only real advantages I see are a little more stability in turbulence and lower height. Dutch rolling doesn't sound like much fun but the wizard I had before the streak was well known for that behavior. Once you have some experience on it though that behavior tends to stop. I think the handling characteristics of the streak may well make it one of the best wings airborne make.

Bluey