Is there an ambient temperature limit on the Jabiru airframe

Guest Escadrille

Guest Escadrille

Does anyone know if Jabiru has placed an ambient temperature limit on operating the Jabiru aircraft eg 105f or 40 deg C?

Guest Andys@coffs

Yes, I believe its in the POH, that said the limitation is likely more about the engine than teh airframe. Jabiru do however state that you can have any colour jabiru you like from their extensive list of white..... and thats becuase of the heat of the fibreglass in sunlight as I undrerstand.

My 230 POH is available on their website under the Manuals subheading, her http://www.jabiru.net.au/eula/eula.asp?u=/Manuals/Pilot%20Operating%20Handbooks/JP-FM-09_J230-D_POH_Rev2.pdf Page 54 has the following:-

9 CLIMATIC RESTRICTIONS

Maximum Ambient Operating Temperature ................ 38°C

Flight into known icing conditions ............................... Prohibited

Regards

Andy

Most aircraft are only certified up to about 40C. Whether it's to do with the material in the construction or whatever. In Central australia or the Kimberlys that would not be enough for normal ops. Higher temp charts could be done, I am sure. It might be an ICAO standard. This subject was extensively dealt with on a previous thread in relation to jabiru airframes and I don't think any problem was determined. Someone may find the reference. Nev

Guest Escadrille

Guys,

This is what I discovered.

GRP Material Typical Temperature Limits

FRP Most common applications are 150F (65 deg C) and below.

Some applications up to 250F with a few special

cases up to 300F.

Most resins will begin to degrade above 150F (65 deg C) at a

rate of anywhere from 5% to less than 1% per

10F rise. Some high temperature application

resins will maintain 90% of their ambient

temperature properties up to 250F

Jabiru Engineer Jamie Cook advises that the Aircraft epoxy resin structure is tested to 53 deg C in order to achieve certification, He advises that failure may occur, at temps significantly above this ( see above)…The 38-40 C from the POH is the advice given wrt to care is to be taken when monitoring the engine while operating in ambient temps above 38 deg C.

Sail planes have been made from composites for many (30+) years, painted white on their horizontal surfaces, without adverse affects.

Additionally operating the airframe in ambient temps while flying will see the airframe at much lower skin surface temps. Sitting the aircraft out in the sun may not help in Summer temps over 40 degC however.

Thanks,

Andy