Propeller Replacement vs Repair

sseeker

Hi,

Preparing a cost sheet on a Skyfox Gazelle at Bindoon for sale and I've come across a bit of a grey area. The aircraft has a wooden propeller and operates out of a gravel strip. In my cost sheet I've put down a new propeller every 200hrs to compensate for the risk of a rather large stone striking the prop. Obviously you can't time when something like this is going to happen and because it's a training aeroplane, there's quite a high risk. The CFI of my flying school has said that the prop can be repaired for around $300 if it has a bit of stone rash. I take it stone rash is very mild stone chips? Can a single large chip which would render the A/C unairworthy be repaired for a lower price than something like $1600 for a new propeller? The current propeller has been on the A/C for 18 months and still going strong. It seems like a bit of a gamble to me!

-Andrew

I repair Jabiru props all the time as our aircraft are used for training and on a gravel strip. We find the damage is mostly related to the protective coating on the leading edges. The prop does get bruised by many small stone chips but as the prop is covered in glass it doesn't really affect the airworthiness of the prop - it just looks a little second hand.

Not sure if these are the same as the wooden props fitted to Rotaxes though.

I have an old but very fine wooden Gazelle prop hanging up in my garage that is in need of repair but never got around to it...I purchased a new courser prop from Gympie a few years back at something like $1,300. The older prop got refurbished for memory about every 300 or so hours but I have no idea what the cost was. I can recall though that the fine prop almost made the Gazelle take off vertically and was really good for training scenarios but no good for a cruise.

Personally, I would give Steve Bell in the RAAus office a call and just ask him whether he would certify a 3 blade prop of X brand for training...it is worth a try by a simple phone call

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. My replacement propeller costs are probably adequate to cover replacement/refurbishment if it needs done.

Thanks,

Andrew