New Boy

Suitman

Hi there,

I'm a recent newbie to Recreational Flying - but I have been flying my Aerochute for about 5 years now (Yes - I've got lots of bugs in the teeth!) and really enjoy it. I have displayed the Aerochute @ Avalon for three airshows now, as I enjoy meeting all the other pilots and seeing the wide ranging AC in all categories. I've had my 15 minutes of fame (unfortunately) coming to grief with a tree just over 12 months ago, but have returned to the skies after a bit of a (enforced) break.

Good to be here!

Peter

Welcome Peter!

I've been considering the PPC thing, are you happy with your Aerochute? Got any tips on pitfalls or dangers (such as how to avoid meeting trees etc)? 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif I'm not really keen on the 2stroke engines but it seems the only options on the two seater's.

Chris

Welcome Peter!I've been considering the PPC thing, are you happy with your Aerochute? Got any tips on pitfalls or dangers (such as how to avoid meeting trees etc)? 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif I'm not really keen on the 2stroke engines but it seems the only options on the two seater's.

Chris

Hi Chris, Yes I'm VERY happy with the Aerochute. Since my very intimate meeting with the tree, I've had the basic setup repaired "upgraded" 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif to an electric start, a bigger prop (Bolly from the original Ivoprop), larger top plate for more room in the cockpit and the new trimmed 'chute. Basically this gives a faster climb or greater lift (kg's) but slightly slower cruise speed. (Since I'm not flying a PPC for speed records, this was the least of my worries). My first take off solo since the accident was very impressive, requiring only 8m take off roll!

The tree-in-the-same-space-at-the-same-time problem would have been avoided if I had not have just "passed out" about 20 - 30 secs beforehand, about 2 mins into the flight. I only know what happened because my passenger was there to witness it. Medical tests as to the cause, for the six months after the incident concluded it was a once-off and I could drive (and therefore fly) again. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

IMHO, the Rotax is pratically indestructible. With the phasing out of the 503, Aerochute offer the bigger "Hummerchute" with the Rotax 582. However apart from EFATO (and any tree-space-time issues), you'd be glad that big chute is always up there and you can glide (and land) safely and in comfort without any loud noisy things pushing you from behind.

Peter

• Like 1

Guest davidh10

Welcome to the site and the forums, Peter. 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

I think I recall the report of your accident. Interesting to now hear of the cause. Not very nice, and more than a bit unsettling that it cannot be attributed to something more concrete.

I've seen a PPC flying around here a year ago on a couple of occasions, but it seems to have departed for places unknown! I never met the pilot. An interesting machine.

Thanks David,

and yes I agree, a bit of a worry having gone through all that pain :black_eye: and suffering (and I didn't fly for 11 months! 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif) and nothing to "show" for it, or at least something that I could get "fixed". But after all the tests I went through, I feel a bit more faith in it not re-occuring. It certainly makes you think twice about the "It would never happen to me" thought process!

G`Day Peter, What did the tree ever do to you,leave em alone!!!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

A guy who was a student of mine and owned a Maxair Drifter was driving down the road in his vehicle,passed out and woke up off the side of the road.

Fortunately he wasn`t injured and no medical cause was found, however, he decided not to fly anymore!!!

Frank.

Thanks Frank, don't get me wrong, it was the *only* tree on the property, but I'm sure glad it was there! On the other side of the tree is a large lake.... I don't really want to think too much about what could have happened had we glided out into that.

I now either - fly solo or take an experienced passenger who could "keep the power on" should something like this ever happen again. Fortunately, the Aerochute flies well from either seat and just a foot on the power keeps you up there.

Peter, Great to read that you`re ok and still flying!!!

It`s a pitty that the guy I mentioned decided to stop flying,he was a good pilot! When he told me about his decission, I told him he could come and fly me around in mine, any time he wanted! He hasn`t taken up the offer!!!

It appears to me that there is such a thing called *Fate* and everyone has their own!..............I met this guy`s wife a couple of years after he got his pilot certificate.....She looked me straight in the eyes and asked, " Are you the man that taught ( name withheld ) to fly ", I answered, " Yes I am ", she replied, " I don`t like you " (I`m sure she wasn`t serious)

apperantly she was always concerned about him flying, anyway, One rainy day she slipped, fell backwards, hit her head on the ground and passed away a couple of days later....He continued to fly safely for several more years!!!

I find it amazing that someone runs off the road and is killed by hitting the only tree within miles!!!!

Frank.

Frank,

Well, I hope to be flying for a lot more years to come. But fate will decide that. I was very lucky - 13 skull fractures and now 7 plates holding the noggin together but (much to my wife's lament) they couldn't improve my face! :hittinghead:

Peter

Guest davidh10
...It appears to me that there is such a thing called *Fate* and everyone has their own!...

Like an accident, there's almost always a number of causal factors. Some we can control and others are exogenous. Every task has its attendant risks, even living. The only fate we can't change is that we are all going to die one day, but actions we take or don't take can bring the day closer than necessary. Gee this topic would make a good thread for the First Class Lounge!

I find it amazing that someone runs off the road and is killed by hitting the only tree within miles!!!!

I wonder if sometimes it has to do with looking where you don't want to go, instead of where you want to go. The single tree attracts your attention, so you end up going there. Another HF example!

Sorry David, But we`re going to have to agree to dissagree!!!

While I agree that there are things that we can do to influence any outcome,I will never agree that because everyone goes down the same path and does the same thing,that the outcome will be the same!!!!

As for the single tree! HF example it may well be,!! However, I don`t believe that it is the answer to the question!!!

I have done many adventurous,dangerous, foolhardy, persuits in my life, both in work, when at 17 years of age,with no previous experience,I was in the middle of the scrub,on my own, blowing up Trees and stumps with gelignite, to all the years I went scuba diving on the reef, on my own!!!!!!

I could have been killed or seriously injured many times over! I have true stories,a plenty!! I`ve never once been injured!!!

I think about and analyse this issue a great deal, I have done workshops and courses on the subject and I come to the conclusion that this is my destiny and so be it!!!!!!

Frank.

Ps, Bugger, back to the renovating!!!

Absolutely correct to say, "We all need to self assess", but shouldn`t a medical assesment be a factor in the decission to continue flying?

If peter has been cleared of any recuring medical condition, is the possibility of a black out occuring again, any more likely, than any other number of unsupcted issues that could cause another accident?

Frank.

... but shouldn`t a medical assesment be a factor in the decission to continue flying? ...

I must agree with Frank. Since having a full set of MRI scans, ultrasounds, blood tests, tilt-table and stress tests performed multiple times, I believe I'm in a slightly more informed position to make the call that answers the HF question "Am I ok to fly today?", than the average Joe. Believe me, it was a long wait to see if I would get the Aerochute repaired (i.e. only if I was given the all-clear) - and this has only reinforced to me that I must answer that question honestly, after carefully considering it.

Peter

Thanks David,

I've enjoyed the reading and discussions so far. Lets hope I can contribute on the plus side. I hope the two months doesn't seem like two years.

Peter

Frank,Well, I hope to be flying for a lot more years to come. But fate will decide that. I was very lucky - 13 skull fractures and now 7 plates holding the noggin together Peter

Hi Peter and welcome to the forums. Good to hear that you are back in the air.

Don't worry about the plates in the head mate, that might be an advantage one day-------my old dad had a motorcycle accident many years ago and he had plates in his head, leg and arm. He reconned that if he died without a penny in the bank to leave us, us kids should still get something for him for scrap.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hi Peter,As the others have said...welcome! Just wondering...how do you go getting through airport security with all that metal 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Peter

I do carry a letter from the surgeon explaining about the plates, but as long as I don't have any other metal on me, (like belt buckles) there's no worries! :robot: