Hi there all,

I've made a little progress over the last two weeks, in spite of the cold temperatures here in Sunbury. Not to good for gluing. Still working on the spars. After making cardboard patterns for the webs and and tracing them onto the Birch ply, I then removed the bits that didn't look like a Skypup with the jigsaw. After gluing the webs on one side only, I trimmed them to size with a small plane. There are some new photos in my Skypup gallery which show better than words can say. The long reamer was an idea from a model engine friend. It was very useful in aligning and sizing the quarter inch holes exactly. Used at low speed and kept very sharp with a fine diamond ezi-lap stone. I'll repeat the gluing and match drilling for the webs on the opposite sides next.

Building a plane is all consuming at times but I'm really enjoying it at the moment.:big_grin:

Cheers

• Like 1

You're making headway and having fun, what could be better than that. Those parts you've made so far look terrific.

My ambition is to build one day too.

Hi DJH,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep posting pictures from time to time if there is interest. If some day comes, you may choose to build a Skypup.020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

There are many things to learn when building from plans rather than a kit.

Cheers

• Like 1

Many things to learn and lots of money saved I dare say building from a plan.

I have looked at the Fisher Flying Products kits and plans ( Super Koala and Dakota Hawk ), but, my goal has long been a Tipsy Nipper, though perhaps I'd prefer a two seater. The Nipper is set to re-appear in kit form soon from a new source in the U.K.

The Nipper kit will have factory welded fuz, U/C and fin/rudder, have to build your own wing and stab/elevator etc.

The Skypup is a cutie for sure, please keep the pics. coming whenever you have the chance to do so.

I'm also following a " My Wooden Airplane " build blog from the U.S.A. Yep I'm interested in all things about home building an aircraft............John

Hi John, I went through a long period of evaluating and trying to choose a building subject. I nearly started building a Woodstock glider (Jim Maupin design) and I studied the plans for a long time. It wasn't that it was very difficult, but the number of parts to be fabricated and the difficulty of sourcing timber etc (for the newbie builder) combined with the lack of space took the gloss of it, at the time, for me. I feel comfortable using wood and foam. I have built many r/c models so maybe that's why. The actual parts count of the Skypup is quite low, in spite of the fact that is actually a very traditional design and build. The only 'novelty' being the use of the blue foam to take the compression loads. When I (you) follow the building manual, the skills are built upon as work progresses. I'll take a look at that blog, thanks. Cheers

... It wasn't that it was very difficult, but the number of parts to be fabricated and the difficulty of sourcing timber etc (for the newbie builder)...

Guys I hear your pain but after a lot of research I have a firm supplier of Aircraft grade Spruce in Newcastle and AS2272 ply supplier in Brisbane. All their contact information is in my website.

Scotty 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Thanks Scotty for the contacts, may come in handy. and DJH for the web links. I read most of the my wooden airplane stuff. Interesting, especially the abandonment of the first plane parts due to poor wood selection. I've had to learn that too. I bought a lot of Douglas fir and only one flitch was usable. I had to re-saw it to get the grain vertical as required. Thankfully I didn't use the fire wood.

Not a lot of progress lately.

I found I was missing the correct washes from my hardware order (from last year), final assembly of the wing attach fittings has been delayed. I got the washes today.

Cheers