Wiring up radio to 12v battery

Guest GA/Triker

Guest GA/Triker

Is it a very difficult thing to wire up your transceiver to run off the Trike's battery. I am not an auto electircian nor do I have much of an idea when it comes to these sorts of things. If anybody can suggest where I can go to get some help that would be great.

Thanks

Regards

Andy

Wiring radio to air craft supply

Hiya

If you are only doing short flights and using a hand held radio, then dont bother with power from the plane. If under two hours I just use the battery. If longer, cross countries and so on then you will need external power. Depending on your radio you will take a 13,8 volts and the surges from starter motor back emf etc. then it is advisable to control this as well as the electrical storm the motor alternator gives out. This can be a disaster, for example a ICA6/24 series takes 11 volts and the ICA 5/23 series will pop if over 14 volts and some change. The Vertex will take 15 volts and is pretty tough. I would suggest that you read the radios book, review how much you fly and if possible stay away from external power as the transmission is much cleaner.

Cheers Paul

Guest GA/Triker

Thanks Paul, food for thought regarding the duration of flights. I currently have new Icom A5/23, it's all very nice but it has no battery metre on it until it runs extremely low and then its too late. I think this may be a failing on Icom's part.

Thanks.

Power to Radio

Hi,

I just use a 12v DC battery purchased from any hobby shop for $20 and a charger for it @ $10 from the same type of shop.

Then go to Dick Smiths and buy some red and black cable, a power plug that goes into the side of your radio, a 1 amp fuse and fuse holder and a on/off switch plus some electrical conector terminals with crimper (unless you know someone with these already) - they aren't expensive.

Then just wire red cable from +ve terminal of battery to fuse holder, then from fuse to switch, then from switch to power plug (for radio) and with black cable from power plug back to -ve terminal of battery. Also it would be good to add an earth from -ve terminal of battery to airframe.

This way you shouldn't experience any dangers of spikes etc as the battery is completely isolated from the main charging circuit of the magneto.

It would also lessen the chances of interference also.

These solid black hand size batteries last hours and hours per charge running my radio, intercom and headsets etc.

Azhar

Guest GA/Triker

Thanks Azhar for this. Will certainly look at setting this up. It sounds like it eliminates the problem with spiking and is pretty cheap to boot.

• 1 month later...

how are u again paul, I will be doing exactly that with my Icom A22 e , and a set of your AIR-MAGIC com set, when I recieve them that is ? I've been using a battery on it's own , via a fuse to my radio, for years now. I'm waiting to hear the good news from LEN any day now, very patiently yours, Lance McNaughton. ( [email protected] )

how are u again paul, I will be doing exactly that with my Icom A22 e , and a set of your AIR-MAGIC com set, when I recieve them that is ? I've been using a battery on it's own , via a fuse to my radio, for years now. I'm waiting to hear the good news from LEN any day now, very patiently yours, Lance McNaughton. ( [email protected] )

all arrived safe,

waiting for the aerial on the weekend :-)