Radio Frequency

Nev25

I was out at the local airfield (Latrobe Valley) the other day Talking to a flying instructor who turned on his scanner and got a local weather report.

He told me it ran 24/7 and the frequency was 128.2.

When I got home I punched 128.2 into my scanner and heard nothing.

My scanner only receives AM in this band.

So I'm wondering is this the right Frequency or is it on the FM Band??

Can someone shed some light on this as I'm a complete newbie

Guest Fred Bear

Being 128.2 Nev it would be on the AM band. I will look up the freq and get back to you. There are several reasons you may not be rec it for where you are. Could be terrain, atmospheric conditions at the time, buildings etc etc. AM is a noisy band at the best of times and some days are better than others. Again, let me look into it for you.

Guest Fred Bear

Here is the info on this transmitter. Looks like the Latrobe AWS (Automatic Weather Station).

1316853-1313784 128.2000000 MHz 6K00A3E AWIBS Site LATROBE VALLEY AIRPORT (303453)

Site ID 303453 Name AWIBS Site LATROBE VALLEY AIRPORT Location LATROBE VALLEY AIRPORT

VIC 3844 AMG Zone 55 AMG Easting 453600 AMG Northing 5771100 Precision Within 100 metres Latitude -38 12 24 Longitude 146 28 12 Licence Fee Density Low Density AreasAssignment Details General Details Licence Number 1147656 Access ID 1316853 Client Latrobe Regional Airport Site AWIBS Site LATROBE VALLEY AIRPORT Operating Mode Transmit/Receive Access Status Date Approved 30-MAR-06 Coverage Local Hours of Operation

[ New Search ] Frequencies Assigned 128.2000000 MHz Lower 128.1970000 MHz Carrier Upper 128.2030000 MHz Device and Antenna details Device ID 1313784 Emission Designator 6K00A3E EIRP 0 Transmitter Power 5.00 pY Antenna ID 50079 Antenna Height (AGL) 7 Antenna Polarity Vertical Antenna Azimuth ND Antenna Tilt

Guest Fred Bear

I don't know if there is enough power to get this from where you are. Generally these x'mitters are low power and made to be heard at the airport only. Correct me if I am wrong.

Guest Fred Bear

No worries Nev. Glad you like it. Has not been updated for a while. I need to put up some more about scanning and also more about the hobby of free to air satellites where you can watch the news readers etc when they are off the air and other outside broadcasts, Formula 1 etc. It's all good fun. Yes, go for a drive if you have time and as you get closer to the field you should be able to hear it.

free to air satellites where you can watch the news readers etc when they are off the air and other outside broadcasts, Formula 1 etc. It's all good fun. .

Yeah that sounds interesting

A Bit off the track of this forum but where I once worked a Guy had put up a Satellite dish and hooked up a receiver and Monitor

And we sat and watch the TV stations OB feed to the Stations

It was all very interesting to see what others Dont

Guest bateo

Coming back to when you say your around 10km from the airfield.. If you have a look in the ERSA you will see the channel for the particular aerodrome.. It will either have circuit area or ground published next to the frequency.. IF it is ground, I would say that you are too far away to transmit.. Certain aerodromes vary... I know Armidale has one on Circuit area which can be heard fairly clear at around 20 nm inbound..

But other aerodromes... once taken off, the transmit gets poor. ( basically referring onto what Darrenmasters has said )