Varieze - looking to buy - advice needed

Guest fireblade

Guest fireblade

I am looking to buy an aircraft and am very interested in a varieze, I was wondering if anyone out there could give me advise on any special areas that I should check? Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated, I have heard that the front seat is very narrow, can anyone verify this and if so how squeezy? Does anyone have an actual measurement?

I am looking to buy an aircraft and am very interested in a varieze, I was wondering if anyone out there could give me advise on any special areas that I should check? Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated, I have heard that the front seat is very narrow, can anyone verify this and if so how squeezy? Does anyone have an actual measurement?

There is one advertised for sale in the current Airsport magazine (p34). Nice looking plane, 98% complete and the price sounds very reasonable to me, but I'm no expert. Send me a pm if you want the contact details. I have no connection with the plane or the owner at all. Just happened to see the ad.

rgmwa

I love em, I love em, I love em!!! Thank the great flying Gods for Burt Rutan and his amazing designs. Don't know much about them besides what I have read... there is plenty of info on line.

Guest ozzie

A big salute to Burt Rutan at Airventure this year. Looking forward to seeing his version of the Boomerang that has just been placed back into service.

I part owned a Long-Eze that I helped build in the UK in the eighties. Why on earth are you so keen? The Rutan canards are interesting, anachronistic and, now,very dated technology. They are very cramped, and need to be parked on their noses or loaded with ballast in the pilot seat to stop them tipping back onto the prop. The performance is lively and they don't like grass strips. Their short field performance is parlous whatever claims Rutan made, and the landing attitude needed to achieve a sensible approach speed is so high that the threashold is often invisible. There luggage capacity is minimal, and they glide like a bunch of keys - engine out landing practice was vey stimulating. Ditching is likely to be completely unsurvivable as the very long low undercarriage will angle the aircraft vertically into the water. I did about 30 miserable hours in ours until I pulled out and sold my share. I went back to Cessna's, then a Jabiru, and now an Evektor Sporstar. Lots of others to choose from out there - so do a few hours in the Varieze before comitting! Good luck!

• Like 1

I part owned a Long-Eze that I helped build in the UK in the eighties. Why on earth are you so keen? The Rutan canards are interesting, anachronistic and, now,very dated technology. They are very cramped, and need to be parked on their noses or loaded with ballast in the pilot seat to stop them tipping back onto the prop. The performance is lively and they don't like grass strips. Their short field performance is parlous whatever claims Rutan made, and the landing attitude needed to achieve a sensible approach speed is so high that the threashold is often invisible. There luggage capacity is minimal, and they glide like a bunch of keys - engine out landing practice was vey stimulating. Ditching is likely to be completely unsurvivable as the very long low undercarriage will angle the aircraft vertically into the water. I did about 30 miserable hours in ours until I pulled out and sold my share. I went back to Cessna's, then a Jabiru, and now an Evektor Sporstar. Lots of others to choose from out there - so do a few hours in the Varieze before comitting! Good luck!

And there is plenty of info online saying the same too....

There are some good reads here... http://v2.ez.org/articles.htm