Just Curious - what do other people think?

I have just received this email from the club president. I am just curious, is this normal? (I have blanked out names and identification for obvious reasons)

G'day again,

If you are making payments via net banking please put your name or invoice number as the reference on the transaction.

**** is receiving payments with no details. This puts an added load on **** as she then has to search through records to match the amount to an invoice. In my opinion, depositing money into someone else's account, whether it be a Club account, Business account of Personal account, without leaving your name or invoice number, is so bloody close to throwing you money away, you don't deserve to have your account credited with it!!

Please be careful, if you do this to the *** flying club then what are you doing with your other accounts??

For the majority of members, this major grumble, coming from ###, doesn't apply, but for whom it does, please give ***** a break and be a bit more money savy.

Ignoring the tone of the missal I can sympathise with the intent. I am treasurer for several organisations which allow members to do direct deposits and it is a pain when you get a deposit with no info, not even a name, especially if it is a membership payment and there are about 130 members with outstanding dues. If you write to all of them there is certain to be some who get annoyed because they "paid" and the treasurer should have worked that one out, and others who paid, then forgot and paid again. The only advantage I have is that we have only one bank in town and if it was made over the counter they usually remember who or can decipher the signature. Otherwise they have to get a copy of the history which can take up to 3 weeks.

The Show Society has an income of over $140,000 mostly made up of sponsorships, nominations and trade site fees where the amount and the intent can change - we write asking Bill Bloggs for a $50 sponsorship for the poultry section and he deposits $30 for Fine Arts - Most Points in Floral Display some months after and it shows up on my statement as IFS Sheds donation $30. Try matching that. At least with a cheque you get some more info like William G Bloggs Trading As IFS Sheds and usually a note saying what it is for or invoice number. Being a not-for-profit I have to reconcile and report each month and inform each section how much sponsorship & nominations they have and which adverts have been paid before we go and publish schedules and posters.

Sue

Guest Andys@coffs

Yep, perhaps blunt but 100% true...... However if I had to have a winge why is it that the banks only allow some ridiculously small number of chars for internet banking. Using Sues explainations above you could get "donatio" theres barely enough to put a full invoice number and rarely room to prefix it with inv..

Given that storage capacities continue to rise exponentially for fundamentally the same $, I fail to underatand why the scroogy B's cant give us some room to write something meaningful to both parties....

Andy

Yep, perhaps blunt but 100% true...... However if I had to have a winge why is it that the banks only allow some ridiculously small number of chars for internet banking. Using Sues explainations above you could get "donatio" theres barely enough to put a full invoice number and rarely room to prefix it with inv..Given that storage capacities continue to rise exponentially for fundamentally the same $, I fail to underatand why the scroogy B's cant give us some room to write something meaningful to both parties....

Andy

So true - when you do it you have to decide to use something that appears on both statements (mine and theirs), so do I put Flying Club Memb (to remind me) or Sue Inv.123 (more useful for them but confusing for me). If it is over the counter I just get "deposit". Surely they can come up with something that will allow you to have one text on your statement and another on the receiver's statement. I notice that the on-line statement has less detail than the printed monthly statement. And right when I wanted to do an anonymous donation, they automatically put my name on it, any other time I would have been lucky to get "deposit".

Banks #%^#..... Sue

A classic case of: if you write a rocket in the evening - don't send until the morning after you've read it one more time. You'll always be glad you slept on it.

I do exactly the same with my wife, I always wait until morning to start the argument which always works, as in my case I have forgotten what it was all about by then anyway.

Alan the forgetful.033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Guest davidh10

It happens to all organisations that accept direct credit and can cause real pain for the person submitting the unidentified payment, as well as being an extra burden on the receiving organisation. It happens with rent as well. As has already been said, in an organisation that receives a lot of payments of the same amount, it is impossible to determine who has paid.

The solution is for the organisation to clearly indicate with the "Method of Payment" on the invoice, that a their reference number be used when making a direct credit. What gets used may differ from organisation to organisation and should be specified on the invoice. It could be a name or an invoice number or a membership number or a specific reference number placed on the invoice, like an account number.

It could have been stated politely, however. With your reply, you could include a new fuze :cheezy grin:in the envelope, just to make the point. may be too subtle though.