Pegasus Quik

Has anyone imported or flown the pegasus quik/R? I was talking to someone today about the possibility of importing one but I'm a bit reluctant given that I would not get an opportunity to test fly one first. I hear they are cheaper to import than buy a new airborne 912 and the airborne is inferior in areas such as speed, handling in turbulence and of course cost. The quik comes with a 100hp 912 and the quickR trims at around 80kts hands off. At the moment, I am looking at upgrading my streak III to the SST at a cost of around 12k - cost of streak III sale. The QuikR is about 38000 pounds if I'm not mistaken. Delivered to Aus it might set me back around 56k with the dollar where it is at the moment (1.10US). A change over of around 16k or so.

Bluey

Guest Andys@coffs
I've flown both the Quik and the QuikR but bought an SST.Cheers

John

John

Just out of interest how did you find 80kts in the open? Something you could do for sometime comfortably?

How did they compare to Airbornes offerings in your mind? The fact that you purchased SST tells us something but not enough. It could have been they were equal in quality and performance but the Airborne spares are available NBD and at reasonable costs....

Andy

JohnJust out of interest how did you find 80kts in the open? Something you could do for sometime comfortably?

How did they compare to Airbornes offerings in your mind? The fact that you purchased SST tells us something but not enough. It could have been they were equal in quality and performance but the Airborne spares are available NBD and at reasonable costs....

Andy

060_popcorn.gif.cda9a479d23ee038be1a27e83eb99342.gif

Has anyone imported or flown the pegasus quik/R? I was talking to someone today about the possibility of importing one but I'm a bit reluctant given that I would not get an opportunity to test fly one first. I hear they are cheaper to import than buy a new airborne 912 and the airborne is inferior in areas such as speed, handling in turbulence and of course cost. The quik comes with a 100hp 912 and the quickR trims at around 80kts hands off. At the moment, I am looking at upgrading my streak III to the SST at a cost of around 12k - cost of streak III sale. The QuikR is about 38000 pounds if I'm not mistaken. Delivered to Aus it might set me back around 56k with the dollar where it is at the moment (1.10US). A change over of around 16k or so.Bluey

Hi Bluey,

Is it not 80 Mph which converts to 69.5Kts ?

Yes, it might be right given that the Brits seem to like talking in miles/hr when discussing air speeds.

I keep hearing that they are apparently much nicer to fly than the airborne product. Apparently much lighter in roll. Does this mean they are easier to handle in turbulence or doesn't it really matter since lighter in roll means they are just more affected and so more corrections are needed with lighter input? Any thoughts?

Bluey

Guest Andys@coffs
Yes, it might be right given that the Brits seem to like talking in miles/hr when discussing air speeds.I keep hearing that they are apparently much nicer to fly than the airborne product. Apparently much lighter in roll. Does this mean they are easier to handle in turbulence or doesn't it really matter since lighter in roll means they are just more affected and so more corrections are needed with lighter input? Any thoughts?

Bluey

Had a look at the UK website, QuikR cruises at 100mph, Quik at 80mph http://www.pmaviation.co.uk/ouraircraft.html 100hp Rotax on a trike, that has to be as close to strapping on a rocket as you can get in the trike world. Angle for Max climb would be interesting, as would recovery in the event of an engine fail if youwere doing it at the time....think quik...so to speak

Andy

Has anyone imported or flown the pegasus quik/R? I was talking to someone today about the possibility of importing one but I'm a bit reluctant given that I would not get an opportunity to test fly one first. I hear they are cheaper to import than buy a new airborne 912 and the airborne is inferior in areas such as speed, handling in turbulence and of course cost. The quik comes with a 100hp 912 and the quickR trims at around 80kts hands off. At the moment, I am looking at upgrading my streak III to the SST at a cost of around 12k - cost of streak III sale. The QuikR is about 38000 pounds if I'm not mistaken. Delivered to Aus it might set me back around 56k with the dollar where it is at the moment (1.10US). A change over of around 16k or so.Bluey

Two of our members in the Southern Microlight Club have imported Pegasus Trikes, one was a GT450 and the other a Quik R, the QuikR was brought in this year and registered with the RAA, both of these trikes are based in Victoria, one in Porepunkah (GT450) and the other at Tyab in Melbourne (QuikR). I'm sure that the 2 owners would be happy to talk/show you about their machines. I am about to place my order for a Quik R, it seems to me that they are the best value trike at the moment and Airborne do not have a trike that matches it. Contact me privately if you want more info.

I'd like to conact you privately to discuss this further but I haven't been able to find out how to email you. If anyone can help, please let me know how it is done.Thanks, Bluey

my e-mail is [email protected] I will be away until tuesday so wont be able to reply to anything until then cheers

Guest Crezzi
060_popcorn.gif.cda9a479d23ee038be1a27e83eb99342.gif

Been flat out last couple of weeks - apologies for delaying your entertainment 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

The Quik I flew was a very early one & I really didn't much like the handling - just didn't feel stable in roll, a bit like flying on a knife edge with a tendancy to drop a wing. To be fair, I believe there were a few changes and subsequent ones were better. The QuikR is undeniably fast (thats what its designed for) but its a no compromise machine. To use an automotive comparison, my impression was of say a Lotus whereas the SST is more of a BMW M5 - perhaps not ultimately as high top speed but more useable and better speed range. I also think Airborne has the edge (no pun intended) in engineering / build quality - most of the European trikes I've seen over here don't seem to have stood up to the conditions too well (though I'm sure there are exceptions).

If I simply wanted to fly a trike as fast as possible between airfields with avgas and sealed (or at least lush grass) runways then I might have bought a QuikR as that is exactly what its designed to do.

I don't, so I didn't !

Incidentally there is a video of the mandatory SB being done on a P&M wing here

. Looks pretty brutal !Cheers

John

Guest Crezzi
Does this mean they are easier to handle in turbulence or doesn't it really matter since lighter in roll means they are just more affected and so more corrections are needed with lighter input? Any thoughts?Bluey

You are spot on Bluey. Generally a slower wing will get "knocked around" more in turbulence but is easier to correct due to lighter roll control. Faster, stiffer wings have better penetration so they diverge less but require more effort to correct when they do.

Cheers

John

Thank you all for your input, it has been very enlightening. However, I am still tempted to get one as the price turns out to be even better than first thought. The idea of getting a brand new machine that handles better than the airborne product for a lot less at the moment is hard to resist but I am going to need more info from the company before I am willing to commit. There is no denying that the Airborne product is stronger and better suited to flying under Australian conditions but P&M have a good intelligent product according to a number of very reputable people I have spoken to who all fly the Airborne product. True, however, you wouldn't be able to put the P&M into the same places you can now land a tundra equiped Airborne but the smaller, faster wings will handle the bumps much better and get you there faster if that is what you desire. For example, the quik, which is the model I am interested in has a significantly higher wing loading than the best of airborne offerings making it hard to match in turbulence.

Cheers, Bluey

Hi Bluey

I dont do weightshift at present but I have heard that P&M are having major issues with sails failing at low hours.Not only that they are not really looking after their customers .I bought one of their early Typhoon hang gliders it had a flutter on the left hand side they ended up scrapping it and replacing it ( only because I was working for a Hang Gliding school who was their agent) Not saying they are all bad just check it out

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Hi You Guy's

Just to let you know this side of the world(Scotland) we are pretty limited in our choice of flexwings.

I have owned 5 P+M machines culminating in 2 quiks

a 2004 model that I owned for around 5 months and the latest that I bought brand new from the factory.

If you were thinking about buying new then you should have no problems as the trailing edge material that has caused most of the controversy was changed last year. The problem of the dacron failing is still an ongoing matter but again seems to be on machines from around the same time as dodgy trailing edge material.

As for the handling both in turbulence and on a calm day I would be very surprised if there was anyhting out there better.

yes it does have its drawbacks if the donkey stops turning behind you , you will have less time to organise what you are doing and where you are going to land (but you should already be ahead on that one so we will ignore it)as it drops out of the sky faster than the slower bigger trikes.

It also lands a bit faster and needs a bigger field accordingly Solo around 50mph and two up around the 60 to 65 mark depending on conditions. as for being robust ask dave Sykes please ignore the two nose wheel problems as 99% of you wont require to land in serious cross winds using only one hand on the base bar and the other on a makeshift steering system?

I could be biased as I have just spent the £30k

would I buy the quik r nope would I buy the Gt450 yes but it is heavier in role lands slower and only needs around 75 yards for to and landing