Jabiru J160 Annual Ownership Costs...

skyfox99

I posted this thread in Aviation General Discussion, but thought I would add it here also.

Looking to purchase and looking for where I can find any info to get the real cost involved of

owning and running a Jabiru J160. I'm sure this would have been covered many times, so if you can point me to where I can find info that would be great.

The more feedback the better. I have looked through the search section and found some info....

Maybe just some recent updated thoughts would be great....thank you.....

I posted this thread in Aviation General Discussion, but thought I would add it here also.Looking to purchase and looking for where I can find any info to get the real cost involved of

owning and running a Jabiru J160. I'm sure this would have been covered many times, so if you can point me to where I can find info that would be great.

The more feedback the better. I have looked through the search section and found some info....

We built our J160 in 2005 has now 1200 hrs Rebuilt engine at 1000hrs yes it made 1000hrs and still going strong cost of rebuild $3210 all up with 2 sets of tyre's Oil , Fuel, $500 land rent for Hanger and strip pr year $47 pr hour.But fuel cost will soon make this increase.

• 3 months later...
Guest Ken McGregor
I posted this thread in Aviation General Discussion, but thought I would add it here also.Looking to purchase and looking for where I can find any info to get the real cost involved of

Hi,

I wrote an article a couple of years ago for the RAAus magazine on the cost of running my SP500 (2.2). I have attached some of it for you. These figures are about 3 years old (?) so if you add about 10%, it should be close.

But what about the cost of flying? Here is the breakdown of my fixed costs not including insurance:

Fixed costs per year

Hangar site lease

Registration

Licence (1 yr)

Power

Club fees

Charts/Ersa

GPS depreciation (5yrs)

Total

Some of the above will be accrued even if you don’t own an aircraft - they are just the normal costs of belonging to a club and flying. Even though I use a cheaper GPS unit, most readers would probably opt for a dedicated aviation GPS, so I have factored this figure into the mix. Some may question $300 annual depreciation, but electronics advance so quickly that your moderately priced $1500 unit will be worth nothing in five years. Others would have greater costs associated with their hangar rent or lease, with some in the region of $1500 per annum.

And don’t forget to include the $180 for your ASIC if you visit some of those secure airports!

Now my variable costs:

Variable costs per hour

Per hour

hours

75 hours

100 hours

Avgas- 13l/hr @ $1.70ltr

Oil - Multi, $13lt /2lt / 25hr

Filter - $13 ea / 50hr

Fuel filter - $13ea / 100hr

Plugs - $30set / 50hrs

Spares/tyres/pads etc

Engine $14k / 2000hrs

Level 2 assistance

Total Variable cost

Add Fixed cost

Total Operating cost

Total cost per unit hour

(approx)

The engine figure is calculated on a 1000 hour top end rebuild and a 2000 hour total engine rebuild.

So, rounding it out, if you fly 50 hours a year it works out at $56.00 per hour. At 75 hours the cost drops to $49.00 and at 100 hours, it further reduces to $45.00. There are substantial savings to be made if you can use MOGAS, for me it works out at a saving of $5 an hour.

Unfortunately, there are two other major financial penalties which we like to ignore but really should be included as they eventually impinge on our bank balance. They are loss of potential interest of say $3k a year fixed deposit of capital cost, and aircraft depreciation of say 10% (or $5k) a year (this can be highly variable depending on resale value). This adds about another $8k a year i.e. another $107 an hour for 75 hrs a year or $80 for 100 hour a year. So if you are able to fly 100 hours a year, hourly cost is now $125 per hour, very similar to hire/fly.

Ken

I own a J170 factory built. Fixed costs are insurance $2500 pa (more if you have less hours than me), hangar fees $1300pa, rego $130 pa, RAAus$160 , club membership $310. That's $4400 for fixed costs, assuming I have left nothing out. Flying at 16 litres an hour is about $30 including oil. So if you fly an hour a week, expect about $115 a week flying costs (fixed plus variable costs). Rough I know but gives you an idea. This of course does NOT include maintainence or repairs etc. Set up a spreadsheet and have a play, I did (but cannot find it!).