Just landed but ready for takeoff!

Guest mudjeep

Guest mudjeep

Hi Everyone!

I've lurked here for a short while but now have a question to ask so I'll post here first then go and ask my question in the right spot.

I started flying when I lived in Darwin, about six years ago (now in Perth). I didn't know about "ultralights" back then so was flying in a C172. That was expensive enough even before the fuel price skyrocketed and i only got about 13hrs up without having been solo. Only flying every week or more likely two, as well as mixing it with heavy traffic, slowed things down for me. Then I moved to Perth and the money I did have ran out so my flying got put on the shelf for the time being.

In the meantime I continued to stay interested via magazines and discovered the world of ultralights and the AUF, soon to become RA-Aus. So about 18 months ago I finally got my s**t together and went over to NSW and got my licence with Wally Rudin (Top Bloke!) in Narrandera, flying a Thruster, as I figured that's all I'll ever be able to afford to own myself! That was great, and in my 20 hours with Wally I picked up my license, x-country and pax endorsements. My cessna hours had given me a head-start it seemed - even though it was several years before and only 13 hours I still had the basics skills, albeit a bit corroded. I also picked up an endorsement in the Tecnam P92Super which we used for the x-country.

So I came back to WA and flew a couple of times with Steve Vette at Northam, but the Thruster is so sloooow I wasn't getting the enjoyment that I was looking for. I wanted to be able to go places.

I began reconsidering my options. We are planning to move back east this year and the resources boom has resulted in a big jump in the value of our house, so I can afford something faster after all!

So until we move and I buy and/or build my own plane, I've been flying a Gazelle out at Beverley with Gareth Lloyd. I am REALLY enjoying the Gazelle, even though it's only 15kts faster than the Thruster. I'm doing my first x-country in it on Monday, down to Bunbury (via Collie) for lunch then up the coast past Mandurah to Rockingham, then over my place in Mundijong, over the hills again and back to Beverley. Can't wait!

So that's me. Total experience about 40hrs.

Cheers,

mudjeep

(real name Jason)

Guest David C

Jason ,

Welcome mate .... What a great read your introduction was ;)... You have reignited your passion for flying , and it all gets better from now on .. Heres to a happy and long association with the group .

Dave

Guest danda

Hi Jason

Welcome mate This is the greatest forum you will ever find full of great people with a wealth of information and only willing to share it.

I to trained with Wally and have to agree he is a top bloke we have been friends for quite a few years now he has sure had an interesting life in aviation over the years.

Once again Welcome and if you are in need of anything for your flying don't forget to check out the shop mate it's the cheapest you will find.

Don;)

Guest bazmay

Welcome to the group Jason. I'm fairly new myself and we met at Narrandera. ( I have the Cobra Arrow ) . Wally is sure a popular CFI. Students come from all over Oz to train with him. He has a Jabiru 230 on order for his school and still has the Tecnam on line.

You will get heaps out of this forum and they all seem like good guys.

Baz

Guest mudjeep

Thanks for all your warm welcomes everyone. I went for that x-country on monday, that I mentioned in my first post. The sense of freedom is exhilarating and I'm now looking forward to getting down and improving my skills/procedures/airmanship through experience. I took my first ever non-instructor passenger as well, and managed not to scare the s**t out of him! He said he felt so comfortable that he was actually nodding off as we flew along the coast abeam Mandurah.

Thanks guys, and Baz, so hello to Wally and Wendy for me.

Cheers,

Jason.