Ronin

Unknown Aircraft: "Hello?.."

Easterwood Tower (me): "Please say again."

UA: "What?"

ET: "Who is this?"

UA: "This is Joe"

ET: "This is Easterwood Tower, where are you?"

UA: "I'm in the plane!"

(I looked down the flight line, checking if someone was sitting in a parked plane playing with the radio. I didn't see anything, and the senior controller was becoming more interested in my handling of the situation.)

ET: "Joe, where is the pilot?"

UA: "He got out when the engine quit.."

(I could only imagine a bizarre scenario in which the pilot had jumped from the plane.)

ET: "Joe, what does your airspeed indicator read?"

UA: (Long pause) "Zero?"

(So the plane was now in a stall I thought.)

ET: "Joe, whatever you have in front of you - a stick or a steering wheel - push it forward - you need to get airspeed over your wings!"

UA: "Are you sure?"

ET: "Yes Joe you need to push it forward... (pause)... What does your airspeed indicator read now?"

UA: "It's still zero."

(I thought, oh my god, Joe's plane was in a falling leaf spin. I couldn't help him. Joe was going to die. I did not know what to do. I looked to the senior controller. He said, "Ask him where his plane is.")

ET: "Joe, where is your plane?"

UA: "We are parked down at the end of the runway, the pilot got out when the engine quit and walked back to the hanger.."

ET: "Joe, get off the radio." 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

This is kinda cool as well.

This exchange supposedly occurred between a controller and the pilot of a BLACKBIRD ( SR71 spy plane) callsign KNIGHT RAIDER:

Control, Knight Raider, request Angles Niner Zero.........(that's Ninety Thousand feet!)

Knight Raider, if you think you can make it all the way up to Angles Niner Zero, go for it!

Roger, Knight Raider ON DESCENT to Angles Niner Zero!