Pioneer 300 used in advanced flight training

pmcguire

G'day pmcguire, and welcome along :thumb_up:

Bob Keen is the Pioneer dealer for your area I believe... his number is 0429 639 770

The Pioneer 300 is retractable gear, which I'm not sure you would find real good for initial flight training, but I'm not sure of what you want to do with it. I can recommend the Pioneer 200 Hawk, which is pretty much the 300 but with fixed gear. I fly the Hawk 200 and it's great. Cruise 120kts. And I know there's one for sale for around the $92k + GST mark...

The Hawk 200 does look like a nice aircraft. I picked the 300 because I am looking at providing training for RAA pilots wanting to progress onto their CPL at a later date. The 300 would give them exposure to Retractable Gear and a Variable Pitch Prop during cross country training and post license hour building. Additionally the sliding canopy is a big win for taxiing in the NT.

Yes, that makes sense, the 200 I fly has the variable prop, but I understand the benefit of the sliding canopy! :big_grin:

If you give Bob a call, he should be able to tell you about everything you want to know. Or send me a message and I can pass it on to him. They are a nice aeroplane, you won't be disappointed with it either way.

• 1 month later...

Tomo, Thanks for the follow up. I have seen a few around the $130 000 mark and with 24-xxx regos. At the moment I am still researching my market and negotiating with the flying school on how the aircraft will be leased. More realistically I wont have the finances available for the purchase until about May 2012. I have been very impressed with the P300 I have seen, still yet to fly one.

They fly very nicely, as you would expect. I don't believe the undercarriage is adequate for a training environment. There are maintenance and strength issues also. You probably need something like a Beechcraft Sierra.

The undercarriages on U/L type planes don't have to meet anything like the requirements that GA aircraft do for strength. While the later 300 planes might have stronger landing gear than the early ones, I'd still worry about wear on circuit work and strength including side loads etc. It;s a pretty expensive repair bill if you have to do a partial gear landing, in one of those. Nev